JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got of work yesterday then headed straight to metal detect the school. First signal was a 1950s six pence which was odd, then a few of those round things I assume are pistol ball or musket ball why there are so many around this school I've no clue. After that lots of trash and a few junk jewelry. Hours went by was getting tired and losing hope. Got a 47 on the D2 and I was like eh I'll just dig it probably can slaw but then I saw shine and bam gold. Took many hunts at this school but finally I knew some had to be around.

Attachments

• 20231204_102747.jpg
    20231204_102747.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 170
  • 20231203_172730.jpg
    20231203_172730.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 138
  • 20231203_172743.jpg
    20231203_172743.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 133
  • 94b934f8-dc01-4cd1-8a30-913d78c2794c.jpg
    94b934f8-dc01-4cd1-8a30-913d78c2794c.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 130
Upvote 45
Maybe they're marbles? Are they lead?

Congrats on the gold John, it's not like you haven't dug enough holes for the first one.
Hope the next one comes along a lot sooner for you.

Your determination to continue rewarding you John..like you said before I’m not leaving till I find gold
Congratulations
Lol that one was like a 5hr hunt. My knees and feet weren't happy with me by the end of it

Nice going :) you did very well :)

Congratulations on the gold, wishing you the next one shows up faster
Gold is just hard work when you really only have schools and parks as an option. Lots of trash you have to dig. For those on the coast with access to high traffic beaches if one had the time to be out often I'd imagine they do quite well

Gold is just hard work when you really only have schools and parks as an option. Lots of trash you have to dig. For those on the coast with access to high traffic beaches if one had the time to be out often I'd imagine they do quite well
True, I live an hour from the beach but it’s a roll of the dice when I go because the tide can change quickly and the target get covered up and I get skunked. I think the guys that live closer to the beach are able to check tides often and have better success.

True, I live an hour from the beach but it’s a roll of the dice when I go because the tide can change quickly and the target get covered up and I get skunked. I think the guys that live closer to the beach are able to check tides often and have better success.
Sand is just easy digging so digging all the trash and iffy targets is no big deal as well. Whereas the parks and schools I do there is a ton of aluminum so lots of signals ro dig but the grass is tough digging and time consuming because you have to so your plugs right and not make messes

Metal detecting, especially in sod, is hard work. I've realized that more and more acutely as I have gotten older. Now I can do only a little at a time.
The balls look big in diameter. If so, they might indeed be .69" musket balls. With the sprue part still there it suggests that someone was casting them and didn't finish them. One of the last things to do would be filing off the sprue projection.

Just check the tide charts before you leave and plan on arriving at least 2 hours before low tide. The tides are very predictable, but, the surf and wind, not so much. Sometimes you can find a surf cam or at least a surf report to get an idea on those. Good Luck!

Just check the tide charts before you leave and plan on arriving at least 2 hours before low tide. The tides are very predictable, but, the surf and wind, not so much. Sometimes you can find a surf cam or at least a surf report to get an idea on those. Good Luck!
Thanks, The surf and wind is what I meant. The conditions change fast and even when I’m there at low tide it can be sanded in with no targets. Good Luck to you as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back