Scientific approach to dowsing...

K

Kentucky Kache

We know how to produce electricity, step up voltage and send it 300 miles through high voltage lines. We know how to step the voltage back down to be used in houses. We know how to wire all the components and make it all work. But, on the molecular level, we have a theory.
We think we know how it works, and we are probably right, but if we were sure why would we call it a theory?

OP
OP
A

angel_09

Jul 8, 2005
"Where are some of the "results" you speak of? Please, post some pictures of your "results" that you have found while dowsing. Would that be too hard to do?"
Nice question...Showing for what?..
Now read this quotation... Skeptic Quotes on answer to # 36...
are ANY of us going to take the word of an individual (as truth) As you can see, it's real easy to put pictures of coins, odd rocks and other stuff in a posting ---but it is quite another thing to prove where they actually came..

Now tell me, is it worth posting my find and my results just to satisfy you?... I might if....
If you can give me a solid basis how dowsing will not work based on scientific data of your own research, using known and advance principles to negate dowsing...

Angel

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a theory as to how to produce electricity.
We have a theory as to how step up voltage and send it 300 miles through high voltage lines.
We have a theory as to how to step the voltage back down to be used in houses.
We have a theory as to how to wire all the components and make it all work.
And, yes, on the molecular level, we also have a theory.

Despite our overwhelming success in building transformers, we might one day find the theory of induction was all wrong. Not likely, but (very remotely) possible. And, likewise, despite our overwhelming success in building microelectronic circuitry, we might one day find out the theories that make this possible, were all wrong. Again, not very likely.

You might want to take the time to learn exactly what, in science, a theory is. As Inigo Montoya said, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

- Carl

From Wikepedia:

Even worse, theory has almost the opposite meaning in common use than its definition in the sciences, and this change can be seen in modern dictionaries which now list theory as a "guess or hunch" in preference to the former scientific definition that used to be the dominant one. In everyday language, a theory is (Morrison, 2005, p. 39):

...a hunch that a detective comes up with in a murder mystery. It is one of several competing ideas, none of them proved. Fringe theories and conspiracy theories are crazy ideas that are out of the mainstream. New medicines or changes in the tax laws may be good in theory but don't work in practice. Among some scientists, theorists are thought to lack solid grounding in the facts...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread