Scored on some old bottles

Sweetrazz

Sep 7, 2016
Monterey ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone! It's been a while since I've been on and we'll as you see I've been busy. The last few weeks I've been doing a lot of digging for old bottles and what you see in the pictures is what I've found. Now I'm in the process of getting the info on each of them. It's pretty exciting I think to find all sorts of treasures. Anyhow hope you all enjoy.

Attachments

• 20161209_074928.jpg
    20161209_074928.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 149
  • 20161209_074918.jpg
    20161209_074918.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 20161209_073951.jpg
    20161209_073951.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 126
Upvote 14
Turn of the centuries or but many with screw tops. I'd say 1920s-30s. The first one is a mystery to me. In the second picture, I think I recognize some iodine bottle (smallest brown one), bromo bottles (little blue one) and noxzema pot. Some beer and whisky bottles too (far right). Last picture shows old ketchup paneled bottles, imho. Did you dig to the point there are no more glass or bottles at the bottom? Just want to make sure you got all the stuff and did not miss the older bottles. Older stuff is often at the base on the dump, or deeper or (in certain cases) not far aside. At my last dump dig, the older bottles were at the most left of the hill, the newest finds were at the far right. Nice finds and I wish you luck for older bottles ;)
:thumbsup:

Great bottle hunting score! :occasion14:

Nice assortment . The clear bottles in your last photo are ketchup bottles. They are all very common and too new to have any real monetary value . Keep at it and test different areas in the dump . Dig to the bottom sometimes things get older .

jackpot I would love to have those and they would be great to display good job Thanks for sharing em!!!!!!!

Great finds. I like finding the old bottles. It looks like your round blue ones in the front row could be Noxema bottles. Your big brown round one on the right end of the second row could be a Peroxide bottle, and I see some small Aspirin and perfume bottles in the front row. Clean them up and they will display very nicely.

Thanks! To clean them do i just wash them with soap and water? I know thats probably a dumb question but you never know.

I've found the best way to clean the inside of bottles is mixing sand and dish detergent with the water. Swish and shake and it will clean the crud inside.

Thanks! To clean them do i just wash them with soap and water? I know thats probably a dumb question but you never know.
Yes you can do that, but I like pa plateau hikers idea about putting some sand in the bottle also. A little abrasive will not hurt it when you are just shaking the bottle. Its tough to get bottles to look brand new. As long as you get most of the dirt and crud out, they will display nicely.

I use cutted copper from wires. I snip them 1/4 inch long and put a handful in the bottle with soap. Softer than glass and wont scratch like sand does, gives a nice result.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back