jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although the community was called Scotia, the name of the local post office was Benore.
It got its start when Andrew Carnegie, through the Edgar Thompson Steel Company, leased large tracts of iron ore in the township. Small-scale mining had taken place here since the late 18th century, but Carnegie organized a major effort to exploit the deposits in 1880. Ore was removed from a broad open pit, washed to separate it from clay, and loaded onto railcars. The Pennsylvania Railroad had extended its Fairbrook Branch to the village in 1881, and hauled the ore to steel mills in Pittsburgh. There was also an extensive narrow-gauge railroad in the pits to haul ore to the washer, and several artesian wells and a reservoir to supply water for ore washing
mining halted in about 1913, and all the assets of the Bellefonte Furnace Company were sold at foreclosure in 1914. The Bellefonte Central abandoned its line to Scotia in 1915, and the PRR in 1927.The village had already been vacated in 1922 or 1923.
There was a brief attempt to revive mining at Scotia during World War II, and the Bellefonte Central received Reconstruction Finance Corporation money to built a new branch from Alto to Scotia to serve the new facilities. However, the mine was only briefly in operation before the cessation of hostilities, and soon ceased permanently.
The area is now encompassed by Pennsylvania State Game Lands No. 176.

mrwirtner

Greenie
Oct 29, 2008
Tyrone, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
The only thing left in this area is a road right down the middle of the game land, a shooting range, a railroad bed, and a ranger station. its now about the equivalent of a 4 mile long briar patch

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrwirtner said:
The only thing left in this area is a road right down the middle of the game land, a shooting range, a railroad bed, and a ranger station. its now about the equivalent of a 4 mile long briar patch

Thanks !

That's sad.

Got more then My share of Briar Patch Towns around here.

R

rig runner09

not to say thats fulse about the briar patches but i have a life long friend that grewup in scotia i called him scotia rebel we are going to check out some old fondations that he come across in his pass !

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
I agree with the briar patch comment. You'd need a brush hog machine to clear the overgrowth before you could go through this place with a detector. Full of honesuckle bushes that grow so densely that you can barely walk. In addition, you can't remove anything you find on state game lands in PA, to my knowledge, so you'd be asking for trouble.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions