What's new

Scovill button help please.....New photo added

teak

Full Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2008
Messages
193
Reaction score
74
Golden Thread
0
Location
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this Gold gilted button a few weeks ago in a Field in VA. Pretty beat up, the back reads, "H L & Scovill Extra Rich" Does anybody know about this button and what era these were from? I added a close up of the back, pretty sure it reads "H L & Scovill" or maybe I have gone crossed eyed looking... :tongue3:
 

Attachments

  • Zi6_0139.webp
    Zi6_0139.webp
    20.4 KB · Views: 440
  • Zi6_0138.webp
    Zi6_0138.webp
    53.6 KB · Views: 426
  • button 008.webp
    button 008.webp
    51.4 KB · Views: 376
Re: Scovill button help please.....

Could it actually be L H & SCOVILL? If so it was made by Leavenworth, Hayden, & Scovill and dates.1811 to 1827. There is also JML & WH Scovill James Mitchell Lamson Scovill & William Henry Scovill which dates 1827 to 1840. the button is a civilian flat button which dates about 1810 to 1830. but many are dug in civil war camp and other later areas.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Scovill button help please.....

I don't know how to post a link but if you google search "common button backmarks" its a relatively accurate way to date the button backmarks.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Scovill button help please.....

vayank54 said:
Could it actually be L H & SCOVILL? If so it was made by Leavenworth, Hayden, & Scovill and dates.1811 to 1827. There is also JML & WH Scovill James Mitchell Lamson Scovill & William Henry Scovill which dates 1827 to 1840. the button is a civilian flat button which dates about 1810 to 1830. but many are dug in civil war camp and other later areas.

It actually says Extra Rich. H L & Scovill. I cannot find anything like that on the web.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Scovill button help please.....

teak said:
vayank54 said:
Could it actually be L H & SCOVILL? If so it was made by Leavenworth, Hayden, & Scovill and dates.1811 to 1827. There is also JML & WH Scovill James Mitchell Lamson Scovill & William Henry Scovill which dates 1827 to 1840. the button is a civilian flat button which dates about 1810 to 1830. but many are dug in civil war camp and other later areas.

It actually says Extra Rich. H L & Scovill. I cannot find anything like that on the web.

Now that I see the close up it does say "L H" & Scovill Thanks!
 
Upvote 0
I would hunt that place hard. With an early button like that who knows what else might be there.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
I would hunt that place hard. With an early button like that who knows what else might be there.

We have found some other flat buttons,. I have found a tallyho button there as well. My friend has found a seated dime and half reale, and a civil war bullet. So lots there and more to be found I hope! :)
 
Upvote 0
Sounds like you all are in an area with a good span of history. I hope you all pull some more goodies out of there.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom