Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2017
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anybody I.D. this button?

I'm thinking militia of some sort because it has the bugle (horn of plenty). Wolf holding bugle in it's mouth. Ribbon above wolf's head (similar ribbon on militia buttons). Large bunches of grapes on both sides. Two way or crossing wreath up top with possible small shield above wreath. I can read "RICH" and "STAND" on back. Found in field in upstate N.Y. at house site that dates from 1830's. a Royal Navy 1800's shoehorn was found in same field site... if that matters or helps?

Attachments

• FullSizeR (3).jpg
    FullSizeR (3).jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6763.jpg
    IMG_6763.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 28
  • FullSizeR (4).jpg
    FullSizeR (4).jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 28
Upvote 5

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anybody I.D. this button?

I'm thinking militia of some sort because it has the bugle (horn of plenty). Wolf holding bugle in it's mouth. Ribbon above wolf's head (similar ribbon on militia buttons). Large bunches of grapes on both sides. Two way or crossing wreath up top with possible small shield above wreath. I can read "RICH" and "STAND" on back. Found in field in upstate N.Y. at house site that dates from 1830's. a Royal Navy 1800's shoehorn was found in same field site... if that matters or helps?
Nice!!!! Congrats!!!!

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Nice find! I agree with a sporting or hunt button description. Here are some others of the design. They don't have the same backmark as yours but they are probably all from the same era. One Worthpoint listing showed it within a set, it is neat to see the others too.

Attachments

• foxgrapesbutton.jpg
    foxgrapesbutton.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
deislecocos

deislecocos

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2017
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! I agree with a sporting or hunt button description. Here are some others of the design. They don't have the same backmark as yours but they are probably all from the same era. One Worthpoint listing showed it within a set, it is neat to see the others too.
Nice research! Thank you:) So most likely Hammond Turner Sportsman button.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread