Scoville General Service Eagle Button (1854-1865)

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I found an eagle button in very poor condition. By itself, not an impressive find. When taken in consideration along with the other military buttons I have found from this area over the past 3 plus years, it becomes thought-provoking. The forests where I found these military buttons and partial shako plume holder (in the third photo) were farms right from the period of first European settlement in 1650 until fairly recently where they remain in a fallow and forested state.

While this area had minor, small scale Revolutionary War and War of 1812 action, no significant military conflict took place here to match the time period of these buttons. What did bring troops here was a whaling port and customs house until the demise of the whaling industry in the mid-1840s. Many whale boat Captains switched over to moving people from the NE US to the California Gold Rush starting in 1849.

Makes we wonder whether such buttons were lost on furlough or were actually on garments worn by former soldiers working on their farms.

Attachments

• tres395.jpg
    tres395.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 65
  • tres396.jpg
    tres396.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 32
  • tres397.jpg
    tres397.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 32
Upvote 15

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I found an eagle button in very poor condition. By itself, not an impressive find. When taken in consideration along with the other military buttons I have found from this area over the past 3 plus years, it becomes thought-provoking. The forests where I found these military buttons and partial shako plume holder (in the third photo) were farms right from the period of first European settlement in 1650 until fairly recently where they remain in a fallow and forested state.

While this area had minor, small scale Revolutionary War and War of 1812 action, no significant military conflict took place here to match the time period of these buttons. What did bring troops here was a whaling port and customs house until the demise of the whaling industry in the mid-1840s. Many whale boat Captains switched over to moving people from the NE US to the California Gold Rush starting in 1849.

Makes we wonder whether such buttons were lost on furlough or were actually on garments worn by former soldiers working on their farms.
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions