Screwy thing...CASE CLOSED...or not...yes...CASE CLOSED!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• whatzit2.JPG
    whatzit2.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 743
  • whatzit2.JPG
    whatzit2.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 747
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Screwy thing...

hi ya Michelle love: Yep just did, sigh, smoo--- err gracias. As for the conveintion, it is NOT like that, blushing, it is a serous meeting of vendors and miners or people with properties to sell etc.

Sheesh, why does an obvious Saint have to explain that ? I guess it is from your contamination from detectorists like PBK, Dekker, Gollum, Doc, and other similar degenerates in here.

Tropical Tramp

Upvote 0
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Screwy thing...CASE CLOSED!

I now know what this is...I posted on another forum...sorry guys...and it has been identified as a such:

It is an ox horn cap. It would screw down onto the tip of an ox horn to prevent accidental gouging. The hole in the side is for a pin to secure the cap once it is screwed down!

I can sleep now... ;D

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:D :D :D :D :D ??? ??? ??? :D :D :DDo you have a pic....never heard of that one.... :D :o

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

romeo-1 said:
I now know what this is...I posted on another forum...sorry guys...and it has been identified as a such:

It is an ox horn cap. It would screw down onto the tip of an ox horn to prevent accidental gouging. The hole in the side is for a pin to secure the cap once it is screwed down!

I can sleep now... ;D
I have to see that one...Who gives a dang if a bull has caps on it's horns in the middle of a battlefield?! Do you live in a brick house? I know someone who'll sell you some vinyl siding!!! :D :D :D :o We love TNET.....and we have answers.....sense of humor and PATIENCE......We love tnet!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I did find literally dozens of ox shoes on this site as well. Also remember, it was only a battle field for a couple days...it has been a farmer's field for over 200 years...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here are several others that have been found in another farmer's field...where there had been no battles...

Attachments

• 213_HornCaps_1.jpg
    213_HornCaps_1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 342
Upvote 0
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LOL...easy everyone...easy...these are probably from later...early 1900's to 1930's...

Also remeber, the field I found this in was in Nova Scotia...there was only two skirmishes fought on this site and that was in 1711 and 1757. I really doubt that these would go back to those battles.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The bevel was for grip. If you look closely you will see that the bevel is actually octagonal. It could be wrenched on...

Upvote 0

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ever see a cow with broken horn? I have seen em with the horn off the mantle inside. It bleeds profusely.

Should you screw that onto a horn, first, to be effective you must cut the tip of the horn off and then the bleeding begins and possibly infection. Second, the threads inside to not look, to me, to be of a cone shape in design, which, is what would be needed to hold securely to the horn. Were it screwed on, as is, only the lower few threads would actually hold to the horn, which, would create a situation where the "cap" would become unstable. The fit would be horrible, but, you could screw it down until the tip of the horn protrudes, drive a screw through the side holes and then cut the tip of the horn off. The first little bit of the horn will not bleed.

I really don't see a horn cap as being the likely answer. It is a common practice to simply cut off the first inch or so of the horn and sear it if necessary. I am no expert, but, I just don't see it as a necessary invention. I could well be wrong. GL and HH

Laater...

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

romeo-1 said:
LOL...easy everyone...easy...these are probably from later...early 1900's to 1930's...

Also remeber, the field I found this in was in Nova Scotia...there was only two skirmishes fought on this site and that was in 1711 and 1757. I really doubt that these would go back to those battles.
hmmmm.....you dont say.Your beginning to remind me of someone now. 'Consider this", How many bulls "with these kind of horns" can you unite into one field? We / farmers here try to separate their bulls in order to prevent injury....

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Re: Screwy thing...CASE CLOSED...or not...

Okay, Michelle... time to to join me in a rousing chorus of, "Right you are, Romeo-1!"

BerryBrook Ox Supply
458 Meaderboro Rd.
Farmington, NH 03835
http://www.berrybrookoxsupply.com/100_0518.JPG

Description
Horn Knobs – tapered inside bore $19.50/pr

Attachments

• Horn Knobs.JPG
    Horn Knobs.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 269
Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OK, so that make me .05% correct in identifying mystery items! :P Sigh....Monty

Upvote 0
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

PBK said:
Okay, Michelle... time to to join me in a rousing chorus of, "Right you are, Romeo-1!"

BerryBrook Ox Supply
458 Meaderboro Rd.
Farmington, NH 03835

Description

lol...thanks PBK...I've been scouring the internet for just that very picture! I just got back from my uncle in law's place, who is a 90 year old farmer and he told me the same thing...ox caps.

I didn't want to say anything because I got the impression people were getting frustrated with me :'( ...Oh well, I guess we can offically close the door on this one. Again, thanks all for your assistance!

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

romeo-1 said:
PBK said:

BerryBrook Ox Supply
458 Meaderboro Rd.
Farmington, NH 03835

Description

lol...thanks PBK...I've been scouring the internet for just that very picture! I just got back from my uncle in law's place, who is a 90 year old farmer and he told me the same thing...ox caps.

I didn't want to say anything because I got the impression people were getting frustrated with me :'( ...Oh well, I guess we can offically close the door on this one. Again, thanks all for your assistance!
:P :P :P :P

Upvote 0
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Michelle said:
romeo-1 said:
PBK said:

BerryBrook Ox Supply
458 Meaderboro Rd.
Farmington, NH 03835

Description

:P :P :P :P

Don't you stick your tongue out at me young lady... ;D ;D ;D :P

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread