Sculptural ceramic pot with amazing detail... stumped

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a fan of ceramics but knew this was a deal at $10. Beautiful sculptural details, seemingly hand-made and hand-signed, but signature is too stylized for me to make heads or tails of. Still, I feel like this will be more than worth the effort of triple-packing, which is more than I can say for most ceramics given my limited knowledge. Anyone know the signature or even what to call this? Fondue pot? About 8" diameter.

TN app keeps crashing once I add images, so looks like I'll have to do these one at a time:

image-3847018705.jpg

iloveshinythings

May 30, 2015
TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it's not much, but to me it looks like "RY" or "PY" as a mark, but you've got it upside down.

Either way, cool covered dish.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Form wise it resembles a tobacco jar. My guess would be possible Czech or German. I am not sure of the maker.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Form wise it resembles a tobacco jar. My guess would be possible Czech or German. I am not sure of the maker.
Thanks - I'm going to follow that lead since the first thing that came to mind when I saw the design was "Austrian", although I can't articulate quite why... something fatalistic and woodsy in the subject matter, which I guess I equate with Austria... which I guess I equate with Germany and the Czech Republic...

Not sure if this helps, but there is a form-fitting plain white ceramic bowl within the main bowl. Not sure if it is original to the piece or included later for ease of cleaning.

OP
OP
G

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The more I think about this, the more I think it's a tobacco jar (or intended for some other non food item). Seems too ornate for something as practical as a food dish...

OP
OP
G

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any more leads on the mark? Searched quite a bit, not finding anything close in terms of style

OP
OP
G

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend who is a sculptor and works at a vintage shop loves it but has no idea what it is, offered $100. Tempted to sell but feel like there is more to it.

Been researching in my downtime and can't find anything close. Some 18th century urns are in the ballpark in terms of design and shape but this is too small and the signature looks early 20th century to me.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you've stumped us. Honestly I'd scoop that $100 and call it a job well done, It'd probably be tough to find a higher offer considering how hard it's been to find info on it. Plus, you won't have to ship it, and you may get paid in cash.

OP
OP
G

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True, but now I'm obsessed with the thing. One of my favorite finds.

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will chime in again. It's definitely an English/European style covered game dish or pie dish. All have the ceramic insert inside with small venting hole on the top. It appears to be a copy of the Victorian wedgwood and majolica styles. Unsure on the maker

OP
OP
G

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will chime in again. It's definitely an English/European style covered game dish or pie dish. All have the ceramic insert inside with small venting hole on the top. It appears to be a copy of the Victorian wedgwood and majolica styles. Unsure on the maker

Thank you so much. Now I'm finding comparable items.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just doing a bit of tidying up on some older threads, mainly for the benefit of anyone searching the site for information.

The mark is for the “Haldon Group” of Sun Valley, California who make all kinds of ceramic items. It’s a game pie tureen, but a modern ‘reproduction’, inspired by (although not a direct copy of) caneware pottery items made by Wedgewood in the 18th Century.

Here’s one from fleabay, which has the same Haldon Group trademark on the bottom:

Haldon.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165297666822

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread