Scuze me while I daydream. Heres some milestones Id like to cross in 2007...

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'Scuze me while I daydream. Here's some milestones I'd like to cross in 2007...

I haven't made a coinshooting breakthrough in probably nine years, now. By "breakthrough", I mean crossing some sort of milestone, like finding my first example of a particular coin type, or denomination.

Oldest coin date: still at 1658, and likely to remain there for some time unless I get really lucky or travel overseas.

Mintmarks: something with a CC mintmark would be nice! While I'm dreamin', something with a C or D (for Dahlonega) would be mighty sweet, too. Hey, I live in the South. It could happen... maybe...

Here are some types and denominations I haven't found yet.

Classic Head large cent, and any pre-1800 large cent. My first large cent was a corroded Draped Bust that might've been from before 1800, but it's undatable.

A two-cent or three-cent piece. These have still eluded me, though I have watched others find them.

An early half dime, or any half dime without a hole in it. I have four half dimes (an 1829 Bust and three Seated), but all are holed. I don't mind the holes, really- I collect nondug holey coins- but I would like to dig an unholed one.

A mintmarked Buffalo nickel. I have found plenty of Buffaloes, including one Type 1 piece, but so far not a single one has been mintmarked.

A Bust dime or any early pre-Seated type dime.

A 20-cent piece. Yeah, I know. Dream on, right?

A Bust or early quarter. I only have one Seated quarter, so another of them would be fine, too. Actually, it has been some time since I found a silver quarter of any type. Y'know, I would settle for a Washington from the 1930s, as I have not found one of those yet- all my silver Washingtons have been from the '40s or later.

A Seated or earlier half dollar. In silver halves, I have an Oregon Trail commem, a Barber, two Walkers, and a Franklin. Found a Kennedy once, but it was clad.

A silver dollar of any kind. Two years ago I got my first and only dollar coin- a 2001-P Sacagawea.

A gold coin of any kind. Probably the dream of most detectorists, and a signature moment for the lucky few who've found one.

A Spanish colonial 4-reales or 8-reales piece. Spanish silver does come up around here. Even the big 'uns, sometimes. So far I have three half-reales, one 1-real, and one 2-reales, but no 4-reales or 8-reales.

Silver Quantity. I forget my overall silver count at the moment. It's still well below 200 pieces, I think. But one milestone would be to find more than five silver coins in a single day. I have achieved the five-in-one-day only twice.

There. I would like to cross just ONE of those milestones this year. Even one of the modest ones.

What are your coinshooting "New Years' resolutions"?

Be they lofty goals or humble, modest ones, it's fun to challenge oneself and try to cross those milestones. Even if you're just beginning, you can try for that first Wheat cent. Then maybe your first silver coin. Or your first coin from the 1800s. Or the 1700s. One by one, the milestones pass as you spend time in this hobby and do it long enough. Sometimes you'll get a surprise and make a quantum leap beyond your expectations, and achieve more than one milestone with a single find. In the first few years, I crossed several milestones per year. Then they got fewer and fewer as they got more challenging. Now it's been almost a decade since I crossed one, and I'm ready for my next one!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 'Scuze me while I daydream. Here's some milestones I'd like to cross in 2007...

Oldest coin date 1658? Geez, I can barely get past the 1940's! :) I know I'm new to the hobby, but I can't even imagine finding the things you've found.
YOU are the Man. Congrats on your VERY successful finds.
-MM-

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 'Scuze me while I daydream. Here's some milestones I'd like to cross in 2007...

I dig the hat! I am gonna get one for my tokens. I have a sweet 95 chuck e. cheese in XXF condition and NO it isn't for sale ;). My ultimate goal for the year is to find a cache of 31 tokens since I have found a cache of 30....again ;)!! I have finally broken the 1883 barrier with my first Indian penny a couple of weeks ago. I was sooooo stoked. Now i am looking to break the ever elusive 1882 barrier.

I broke several milestones in my very own front yard. I have been MDing since mid July 06'. My first silvers all came from my yard as follows: Dateless SLQ, 43 Merck, 42 and 45 Jefferson, a 61 Rosie, and a buffalo. I found one 1958 Rosie at a school built in 1950 and a 1918 Merc at the "Hill". The Indian was the only other milestone. I am glad for each one of them. A nice find every few months keeps me going.

Good luck with your new milestones this year!!

Laater...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread