fyrfighter17

Feb 24, 2007
Essington,Pa
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone
Newbie here..it seems like everyone is North and West of me.I am in Delaware county,it's got enough history to keep you busy for weeks.but I can't find anywhere to MD.Has anyone ever searched here and had any luck? Everytime I try to search for something online,all I get back is useless stuff..like how much a room is at Comfort Inn. I use yahoo search engine...should I use another? or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks
Nick ???

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome ff-17

what exactly are you looking for ?

General Detecting sites ?

Treasure Stories ?

histiry ?

all of the above ?

OP
OP
F

fyrfighter17

Feb 24, 2007
Essington,Pa
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just general sites to detect....I'm pretty much up to date as far as history and stories go....it's just there is so much developement,its hard finding a place to park let alone to detect

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are living in an area that is very old and rich in colonial and revolutionary history. Hard to believe you can't find somewhere to detect. Check out some areas near the old stone churches as these date back to the mid to late 1700's. Meeting houses are a sure bet. Old homesteads, don't overlook fields. Here's a couple to get you started..........

1. The Battle of Brandywine occurred on September 11, 1777. Approximately 11,000 soldiers let by General George Washington, and 18,000 British and Hession troops led by Howe fought near the area of Chadds Ford is today. The Americans were defeated. There should be historical markers somewhere down there that depicts the site................however adjacent areas of the battle site should sure produce some great finds. Better get permission to search the areas first, as they are likely to be private property.

2. James Fitzpatrick and his partner Mordecia Daughtery were outlaws that preyed on Whigs in the region around Concordville during the late 1780's. It is known they robbed numerous people, and they buried several caches of gold in the area before they were hanged.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to you Library & Look for Township Histories.
These should tell you where the Older Parks Are / were
where church Goves & Covered Bridges were are also great detecting sites. Check EBay for post cards for your area & look at them Closely
for places where alot of people Congrigated.
old School yards, & ball Fields. Etc.

OP
OP
F

fyrfighter17

Feb 24, 2007
Essington,Pa
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jeff...ebay is a good idea...and Rich,thats just the tip of the iceberg...I live in Tinicum Twp,the first permanant settlement in Pa,just within the township we have an old Swedish cabin,Ft.Mifflin,which protected the Delaware river during revolutionary time and was used as a prison during the civil war and the area was heavily populated by the Delaware indians..in the neighboring borough of Prospect Park is an old church where the phrase "In God We Trust" was first coined,next to the church is an old,tiny cemetary with markers as early as the late 1700's,several blocks from that is the Morton Mortonson homestead site,he was the son of Declaration of Independence signer John Morton and south of here in Marcus Hook,its is rumored that Blackbeard kept a mistress there and was a frequent visitor to the entire area...there are a lot more stories to tell about the area,but I'm not a morning person and my brain isn't working right now...there is "Little Tinicum Island" in the river about 500 yards from the shore line that I'd like to try but havent been able to find out anything about it...Problem with all of this is that it all is either marked in the historic register or its part of the Heintz wildlife refuge..that parts of the area that do not fall into those 2 areas are a tight cluster of homes with small yards...the only place I've been able to check was a ballfield,there I found a St.Christophors medal,an old drawer handle,and a small lockplate from a chest along with appr. $4 in clad coins

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread