Search for old homesite turns up 1875 Indian and gold gilded button!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oldjerseygirl and I have been looking for an old homesite she found on an 1876 map overlay since last winter. We kept looking far from her house which the old map suggested was on one side or the other of an old spung/ swamp. We walked about an mile from her house (felt like) down these old ox cart roads yesterday only coming up with a ox shoe and headstamps. She found an Indian Head Cent about a week ago in this area, where there is also a property marker which looks very old. Last year on her own in a different section of these same woods, along one of these ox cart roads, she found a different Indian Head cent. This area was a old sandstone quarry/ mine used back in early 1800's.

20150115_115344.jpg 20150115_115331.jpg

Today we were not on the ox cart roads, like last year we were going through open woods searching along the way with our detectors for an iron patch. We were looking for awhile when we came up with nothing, had circled back wide to check some more in the direction of her house. When we were almost out (ten feet from her yard) she got a scratchy jumpy signal that she dug which turned out to be a 1875 Indian Head Cent.

20150116_124617.jpg 20150116_124603.jpg

We started looking in that area when I finally got a nice sounding shallow 82 - 84 hit on my Deus, it was in the yard in a spot that was frozen sand. It was like concrete, in the woods the leaves and pine needles leave the ground dig-able, here it took me quite a time to chip out this beautiful button. Any help dating this button would be appreciated.

20150116_124402.jpg 20150116_124416.jpg 20150116_135656.jpg 20150116_135807.jpg

I guess if the weather stays nice I'll be at Becky's tomorrow looking for more. All that time looking, the old homesite is right in her back yard.

Enjoy the pix
HH & GL
Brad

Upvote 8

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Please show us the other side of the button.

Good going on the IHC(s) OJG!

Sounds like a good time was had by all. You kids be careful out in the woods. GL&HH!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yeah, gotta see the other side

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds guys. Did you actually find a cellar hole or some evidence of a homesite? Looks like you're zoning in on a great spot

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice IH, and the button is killer!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I keep saying, it's not where you think it is, it's where you find it. :)

Very nice!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That '75 is beautiful! I want to see the other side of that button too! Looks like a nice spot to hunt with someone else cause if you're talking, you're more likely to keep going further. Never know what you're gonna find along old roads/paths.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great shape and not toasted like the ones I dig. Has to be a place off that road as well. The woods look to have been timbered not many years ago. Good hunt.

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That '75 is beautiful! I want to see the other side of that button too! Looks like a nice spot to hunt with someone else cause if you're talking, you're more likely to keep going further. Never know what you're gonna find along old roads/paths.
Pretty spot too!

As I keep saying, it's not where you think it is, it's where you find it. :)

Very nice!
Coil went over it, right Gary?

Nice IH, and the button is killer!
Thanks

Nice finds guys. Did you actually find a cellar hole or some evidence of a homesite? Looks like you're zoning in on a great spot
Button and a IH Cent along with allot of iron. Some of the old homesteads I have hunted consist of a agricultural field and a iron patch, maybe a brick piece or two. You never know, those maps were stepped off by a drunk sometimes?

Great shape and not toasted like the ones I dig. Has to be a place off that road as well. The woods look to have been timbered not many years ago. Good hunt.
Timbered by Becky's husband, allot of the oak got hit hard by gypsy moths.
Thanks

That penny is in good shape, it's been lost a long time. Tony
Thanks Tony

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat Finds!!!

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds. the button dates to approximately 1820's-1840's or so. it is a good indicator other early relics are around.

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds. the button dates to approximately 1820's-1840's or so. it is a good indicator other early relics are around.

Thanks, will be back there after the rain stops. I tried a different spot on my own today, got skunked.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good looking Indian! Hard to beat one of those any day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread