searched an older area by my street

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
I went this morning by an older area where I live that I have been researching. The earliest I see this area is 1908 on a topographic map but could have been there longer. Will have to find older maps. Anyhoo..... I was down in this section with the wife and the dog and the metal detector of course. My first dig produced a section of pipe that is 2 inches in diameter and 1 inch wide. Looks like it could have been a coupling to connect two sections of pipe together.
The next dig produced either a metal staple (like from a crate...the big kind) or it is a bent nail. My guess would be the staple.
The last dig was a piece of metal rounded shape but bent. At first glance I knew it wasn't a coin since it was too thick. Looking at it closely it seemed to have some raised design or lettering on it in the center. Into the pocket it goes with the rest of the stuff cause the wife wants to get back home and I have to get to work. On the way back I got another signal in the pull tab to coin range which when I dug it up was just a crushed aluminum can.
Well by this time the wife and dog where halfway home in the field next to my house and NATURALLY I was swinging as I was walking. I got a signal that I started to dig up that showed on my display under the .25$ symbol. Was a good signal too since it did not fluctuate from one symbol to another...just stayed on .25$. Well I started digging and that is when the wife noticed a couple of ticks on the dog. So NATURALLY I had to leave before finishing digging this particular spot. But it is right next to my house and I can go there anytime (whenever the wife is out....he he...)

Well the small rounded object that I did dig up after cleaning seems to be an old shotgun shell casing made out of brass. It has 'Winchester Leader' on it and also the number 12. A little GOOGLEing found me to websites with collectible shotgun shell boxes and sure enough there was one that was Winchester Leader 12 gauge. Roughly made from late 1890's to 1930's. Will clean it up some more and post a pic of it probably tomorrow since I did not bring my camera to work with me.

I know....this post could have been WAY shorter, but just wanted to fill in the group.

Thanks,

Funkman

Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your find! And if they were worth a $.25 each I would be in business! :D

Glad you got to go out and play if only for a little bit. One of those times when you wish there were two of you? :D

Nana ;)

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
FUNKMAN, Welcome To The Forum, I Hunt Mostly CW Relics, I Find So Many Shotgun Shells That Me And My Hunting Buddy Art, Refer To Them As Yankee Buttons. Best Of Luck & Good Hunting. trk5capt...

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 125.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 125.gif
    101.2 KB · Views: 359
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 125.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 125.gif
    101.2 KB · Views: 343

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Keep on diggin...
good luck.

I found an old live shotgun bullet last week,
good thing I didn't hit it digging with my knife/tool...lol

Smiles!
BDoo

S

southbound

There will be better days of hunting! Let us know what the undug object is.
Vern

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
thanks for the replies. I did dig up that quarter this morning. It wasn't an old one (1970) but still a quarter. Got a few more digs in before leaving for work. Found a dime, a penny and a rifle casing (.22 caliber I think). Will take pics (remembered the camera) and post them later.

Funkman

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
here's a pic of the finds from yesterday and today.

Funkman

Attachments

• IMG_0767.jpg
    IMG_0767.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 220

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread