Searching an old house

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
As I have gotten back involved with this site, something hit me that nearly knocked me off my chair. My house that I own in Oklahoma was built in 1940. It has been occupied nearly that entire time. There was an addition built in 1970.

Now, if I were to search this house and this property for valuables (the yard is going to be tilled and reseeded with grass so I am going to detect it completely when we do that) where would I start? What should I look for?

My first and foremost spot to look for is the crawlspace that leads under the house, but it is mucky and dark and full of brown recluse spiders....besides, the space is pretty tight under the house.

Just hit me with as much information and ideas as you can. Also, down the hill from my house is an old abandoned house that is about forty or fifty years older than my place. How do I go about searching it, and getting permission from the owners, provided I can track them down?

OP
OP
Libralabsoldier

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
very small oklahoma town, and the house has been abandoned for a long time...My house is filled with weirdos, but those are family.

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
I guess to detect a yard completely you could go over it twice. The first time before tilling it to pick up anything good surface to shallow buried and then again after tilling to get whatever you've stirred up.
If you know the folks who own the other property you could tell them what a nice job you did cleaning out all that dirty old metal in your yard and offer them a good deal on doing theirs too. Be sure to take pictures for us.

OP
OP
Libralabsoldier

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Well, I will not be moving back there until the end of May, and then we are taking a loooooooong road trip. I figure since I spent the year defending America, I should see more of it. And of course, I am bring both MDs with me. But the old house that is abandoned has no sign that I can use to tell who owns it...so I guess I will have to go to the court house after I figure out the address and do some research.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Search it now and then again when you till it up. Is very good advise....Matt

OP
OP
Libralabsoldier

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
OH I will. I cannot wait to find my first silver. It has yet to happen here in Dallas, but I do not get out to anything more than tot lots, and then for only an hour or so a day. It is amazing to me how that MD seems to attract kids like flies!

OP
OP
Libralabsoldier

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Nah, I like kids. It is usually their parents that annoy me. I am a firm believer in the principle that if you speak to kids on their level, but not being condescending, it helps them grow. Kids ask me questions about the MD, and I give them a quick science lesson, and a lesson in being civic minded, considering most of what I seem to be doing is removing rusty nails and wire from kids playgrounds. Tetanus is no joke, you know?

P

pippinwhitepaws

libra,
search under the front threshold...under and around fireplace...then go for the walls...under stairs...
lots of toys and pocket change has been lost to sash windows...

and again, thanks for serving... :icon_salut:

OP
OP
Libralabsoldier

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
The property is pretty trashy too...I am going to tear down one of the outbuildings, which used to be an old chicken coop. I heard on here somewhere that chicken runs and coops were one place to bury coin caches back in the day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread