What's new

Wish my Donkey Was Not Dead

DeadDonkey

Greenie
Joined
Mar 22, 2026
Messages
19
Reaction score
82
Golden Thread
0
I have always believed in the mantra, “Make it what it ain’t”, and while extremely poor grammar, when life steered me to an island, located off another island, I figured my adventurous days were done. How could life get any more boring than living in a tiny house on an island at age 52? I figured it would be so boring I threw my prospecting equipment out. No sold it. Not gave it away. I literally had all of it hauled off to a landfill. My adventuring days were over.

How wrong I was.

My former home was quite rural, and I had taken to the woods in search of gold, and found it hitting the trifecta of lode, placer and alluvial gold, as well as finding palladium and platinum and over many years of searching the rugged hills. Not driven by money as some are, but instead a love of adventure and discovery, I just like to find what is out there.

But the mineralization of this island (2500 acres) was interesting, which piqued my interest. Then a venture up a mountain just inland caused me to say to myself, “this area looks like it has gold”. A lot of research later, studies of the bedrock, volcanic activity of old, triangulation of old mine maps, etc has caused me to realize I moved from an interesting spot geologically speaking, to an even better one.

I think there is gold and silver here but wanting to make some jewelry for my wife’s birthday from found gems, this past weekend a trek up a particular mountain caused me to realize I am closing in on her gift. First, it was 30,000 acres, then I trimmed it down to 14,000 acres, then a single mountain, and now down to two spots on that mountain. I found gems at one promising location but am not sure it is the size and quality that I need for her pendant.

But that is how I am strangely wired. I could go out and buy some jewelry for my wife’s birthday, but I would rather hike for miles, spend months on the search for a single gem for her than use money to buy a ready-made necklace. Along the way I have gotten hopeless lost, gotten miserably cold, spent countless days alone, been exhausted, and fallen and gotten hurt so bad I thought I was going to have to call in the Coast Guard to come and haul me off. Yes; the struggle has been real. But to me, all that mimics the struggles of marriage too, so finding a gem on a mountainside for a birthday gift for my wife is much better than just buying something.

That is just me.

That is why I am here.

I just wish my donkey had not died so he could lug all these ore samples out of the mountains instead of me backpacking them out! (Joking…mostly)


Dead Donkey.webp
 
I have always believed in the mantra...
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country)...
 
I'm with you brother ! The thrill is compeling to keep us in the hunt and if it weren't for my old age and beat up ole body I'd still be in there looking / searching and I wouldn't have sold off my equipment ! BUT the urge is still there untill the "GREAT MEMORIES " of all that is involved in this adventure come back to remind me ! Lot's of great friends and times . BUT it all has to be put on the back buner for this ole bird! GOOD LUCK in your search for that draw to your dream !
 
I'm with you brother ! The thrill is compeling to keep us in the hunt and if it weren't for my old age and beat up ole body I'd still be in there looking / searching and I wouldn't have sold off my equipment ! BUT the urge is still there untill the "GREAT MEMORIES " of all that is involved in this adventure come back to remind me ! Lot's of great friends and times . BUT it all has to be put on the back buner for this ole bird! GOOD LUCK in your search for that draw to your dream !
That is too bad, but you can still use your knowledge to help the rest of us. Like helping to figure out what mineralization someone found. Or by telling them indicator mineralization so they can get ever closer to finding the gem in their secret spot. You still have a lot to offer prospectors.

You got a lot of knowledge that is priceless, so I am so glad you are here. For me, but also other people that can still get out there.
 
Sweet!

You get the wife's jewels squared up , you can take up fishing more.
Toss in a quest for a white whale and add a little challenge...

( Congrats on the prospecting.)
 
Sweet!

You get the wife's jewels squared up , you can take up fishing more.
Toss in a quest for a white whale and add a little challenge...

( Congrats on the prospecting.)
Oh no. No, no, no. I live on an island with a bunch of fishermen. I am not saying ANYTHING about trying to find a white whale. They would probably burn my house down for saying that. Fishermen and whales are NOT friends.

I hike everyday so I am constantly on the hunt for some gems. Might have found some to make my wife a pendant, but not sure how fractured the gems I have thus found are like. Always hoping for a bigger gem, but isn't every prospector? 8-)

I might have some rose and smoky quartz, perhaps some ilmenite. It is going to be tough liberating it from the host rock and keeping what I got big enough for her pendant. But the search keeps me in the mountains daily. That unto itself is a treasure found.
Quest Continues.webp
 
That will be the most awesome kind of gift. But be careful out there, I’m a hiker too (and hunter) and broke a couple of ribs last fall. At first I thought I was going to die, then it got to the point I hoped I would.
 
That will be the most awesome kind of gift. But be careful out there, I’m a hiker too (and hunter) and broke a couple of ribs last fall. At first I thought I was going to die, then it got to the point I hoped I would.
You make a valid point.

I am NOT arguing with you here at all on that, albeit yesterday I came across a creepy guy that makes me wonder if fellow humans are more scary? I had hiked for five hours in what I thought was alone when he told me I had passed his camp and that he had seen me sitting at a cove. It was as if I was being stalked. He asked me where I lived, what trail I was taking etc. I might have sinned but I lied on my answers. Thankfully I carry a 9 mm in the side pocket of my tightish hiking pants and the pistol prints nicely and I know he could see it. I was glad yesterday as I think he was a homeless heroine addict living in the woods. Kind of scary being 10 miles out and being stalked by a human predator. Glad to have gotten out of there!!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3699.webp
    IMG_3699.webp
    3.2 MB · Views: 50
You make a valid point.

I am NOT arguing with you here at all on that, albeit yesterday I came across a creepy guy that makes me wonder if fellow humans are more scary? I had hiked for five hours in what I thought was alone when he told me I had passed his camp and that he had seen me sitting at a cove. It was as if I was being stalked. He asked me where I lived, what trail I was taking etc. I might have sinned but I lied on my answers. Thankfully I carry a 9 mm in the side pocket of my tightish hiking pants and the pistol prints nicely and I know he could see it. I was glad yesterday as I think he was a homeless heroine addict living in the woods. Kind of scary being 10 miles out and being stalked by a human predator. Glad to have gotten out of there!!
Glad you made it out safely, that’s really creepy. I respect the dangers of the wilderness, but my only real fear is a human with bad intentions. Having to call someone to remove his body will ruin the entire trip.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom