Searching for liquid Mercury to restore motorcycle tool

powellskier

Nov 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need approximately 1 fl oz of liquid mercury for a motorcycle carburetor synchronization tool which lost its mercury during a recent move. Trying to purchase the amount I need would cost more than the tool itself so I'm hoping to find someone who may have a few ounces laying around and are willing to part with. I live in South Western Utah and someone within 300 miles would be ideal for a local pickup or I will provide the proper procedures to safely and legally ship the metal.

Thanks in advance,
Michael Martin

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You can buy it online at eNasco scientific supplies. I checked the other catalogs I used to order from(Carolina, Edmunds, Flinn) and they don't carry it. Rumor says a $25.00 hazardous shipping charge and maybe federal monitoring of your actions, library checkouts, etc. Don't know about that, but it is available.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Easy,find an old furnace thermostat or two in an old house,or update yours if you have one with mercury switch in it.Most thermostats used a mercury switch.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Here's an alternative. Hook a tube on to your device and attach the other to a water column gauge like the one plumbers or gas techs use. Of course you will have to hook it on the other end to check manifold vacuum. I think the guage is called a manometer. Frank

Attachments

• 1950S  cushman scooter.jpg
    1950S cushman scooter.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
You might ask some of the heating co. in your area. Most won't throw out old mercury thermostats anymore and they usually end up in a box somewhere in the shop. Most don't know what the mercury is worth. Many think it's worth a lot. So I'd probably find a current price you could show them.
Not sure in your case but I've synchronised carbs with a hose held to my ear until they sounded the same. You also mught be able to use a tube with some water. Make a mark where the water level is before starting and then how much the drop is. Like Frankn mentioned. And yes, it's called a manometer.

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
If you live close to a College or University, check with the labs in the physics or chemistry departments, they might be able to help you out.

Best of luck,
Bill

7creeks

Oct 14, 2009
Dark Hills of Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Cushman Frankn

Here's an alternative. Hook a tube on to your device and attach the other to a water column gauge like the one plumbers or gas techs use. Of course you will have to hook it on the other end to check manifold vacuum. I think the guage is called a manometer. Frank

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
7creeks, That picture was taken in an auto museum off I80 in mid US. I use to ride one before I was old enough to get a license. I rode it to school each day. I had a lot of fun with it. I painted mine glossy black with white script lettering on the sides," La P****cat". I also installed a windshield and lower canvas protector. Those were the carefree days, not like the tension filled and censored ones of today. Frank

1960 Amphicar.jpg 1960 MESSENSCHMIDTT.jpg 58 Isetta 300-BMW.jpg 1950S  cushman scooter.jpg They also had the amphibian car, the german Messersmith made from plane parts, and the Isetta 300, a car made by BMW. Interesting place.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions