OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What am I missing? All these theories about booby-trap water tunnels sounds very James Bond. As in high tech. In the centuries this was supposedly done, there wasn't indoor plumbing let alone this kind of drainage. Cholera killed more soldiers in the Civil War than artillery. People were still dying of dysentery in WWI. And there definitely wasn't the required digging equipment hundreds of years ago, especially on ships.

I'm no engineer, so why is this so plausible to everyone? I don't get it.
Not that i beleive there were flood tunnels but the only digging equipment necessary did exist it was shovels and picks.

The flood tunnel explaination revolves around how else can the water at 100 ft be accounted for. So far no one has found a natural source to explain the water. It should not be there.

There is little problem in digging a shaft in galacial till. It is only dirt not stone.

Personally i think a natural explaination must exist and i hope someone can find it.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been reading up on all this more (stuck waiting at airport) i now understand why the coir needs to be covered and then not covered with sea water. The sea water washes away the waste that is created in the process of the bacteria breaking down the fibers. The bacteria acts to break down the cocnut fibres (this happens when they are not under the water).

I could not find any refrence to a process like envisaged on OI but can see where the authors of the article are coming from. The process takes over 6 months so the cocnut fibers need to be somewhere the ocean can flow over them and leave them again for the process to happen.

I do hope the article they say will be published soon explains how they envisage the actual process working on OI.

The thing I find "most promising" about this theory is that it is the first one i have seen that explains why the whole beach was covered in fibres. Coir was also used to make ropes and fishing nets so was a very needed commidty.

I am not convinced that this theory is the answer to the beach at smiths cove but it certainly has possibilites. I hope they do investigate it further.

It certainly makes more sense then the beach being an entrance to a flood tunnel.

Edit: another interesting point i came across in my readings is that the basic cocnut fiber was very common everywhere very early on. It was used in shipping extensivley in freight. I do not doubt the fibre on smiths cove was already there with general trade and was not brought to OI for any specifc reason from overseas.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just was reading some more on coir and coir pith the by product that comes from coir bacteria process is also a very useful substance. So i wondered if the well/sump could of been used to collect the pith in liquid form as it drained from the coir when the tide went out.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What am I missing? All these theories about booby-trap water tunnels sounds very James Bond. As in high tech. In the centuries this was supposedly done, there wasn't indoor plumbing let alone this kind of drainage. Cholera killed more soldiers in the Civil War than artillery. People were still dying of dysentery in WWI. And there definitely wasn't the required digging equipment hundreds of years ago, especially on ships.

I'm no engineer, so why is this so plausible to everyone? I don't get it.

Not James Bond at all. Look what the Egyptians did.... pretty amazing for 3000 years ago so anything is possible.
The best explanation is they are natural, there is no treasure on OI, never was, never will be and they will do whatever they can to make a TV show and hope to get Tourism $$$$.

My best theory yet! I know, it is what most believe, probably true and we all wish it was the bloody Templar's!!! :headbang:

Last edited:

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Edit: another interesting point i came across in my readings is that the basic cocnut fiber was very common everywhere very early on. It was used in shipping extensivley in freight. I do not doubt the fibre on smiths cove was already there with general trade and was not brought to OI for any specifc reason from overseas. "

What I have been saying all along....but you are the first to research it enough to agree...

"The sea water washes away the waste that is created in the process of the bacteria breaking down the fibers. The bacteria acts to break down the cocnut fibres (this happens when they are not under the water)."

This was my point about 'why' the beach was not used for rhetting...how do you wash the waste away without washing the coir away at the same time? How do you wash the waste away if you have it buried under sand so it won't wash the coir away?

Trying to make this theory fit what we know was there doesn't work at all....You say the drains, beach, don't support the salt works theory because of a rocky sloping bottom, (which has no effect on the water evaporating at all) But you want to twist the use of the drains into something they don't do and would have to for the rhetting theory...slope to seaward to actually drain anything, instead of what they do, do, slope shoreward to drain water into a well....

Mike Mercury

Dec 14, 2015
southwest Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I imagine that it will all come down to this... that Oak Island had a treasure chest or two burried/hidden there. These have already been found and the contents (mainly gold coins) were spent long ago.

This Templar relics talk is just wishful thinking and show hype.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The sea water washes away the waste that is created in the process of the bacteria breaking down the fibers. The bacteria acts to break down the cocnut fibres (this happens when they are not under the water)."

This was my point about 'why' the beach was not used for rhetting...how do you wash the waste away without washing the coir away at the same time? How do you wash the waste away if you have it buried under sand so it won't wash the coir away?
I was thinking about this while stuck in Cebu airport. (I am far from convinced that this is the explanation of Smiths Cove) but for speculative purposes... If the few foot of rocks are on top of the drains and then the cocnut fibres were directly over the rocks then the eel grass is on top of the coconut fibres. There would not be much sand on the coconut fibres and the draining away of the waste product would not be a problem.

But I was also thinking. maybe someone/group set this up as an experiment and it did not work so was abandoned. that is why the coconut fibre was still there.

Trying to make this theory fit what we know was there doesn't work at all....You say the drains, beach, don't support the salt works theory because of a rocky sloping bottom, (which has no effect on the water evaporating at all) But you want to twist the use of the drains into something they don't do and would have to for the rhetting theory...slope to seaward to actually drain anything, instead of what they do, do, slope shoreward to drain water into a well....
I don't think I am twisting any facts... Just trying to get in my own mind (if this theory is true ) how would it work. So I did some research on the processes used elsewhere (was very interesting actually) and could see why the authors of the article came up with this.

This is the first speculative theory I have seen that offers any explanation for why the whole beach was covered with Fibres.

From the research I did I can also see problems with the theory (for example some of the most common processes used a combination of sea water and fresh water). It also seems that most of this process was done where the coconuts actually are from.

So my view is it is an interesting theory that should not be dismissed out of hand but requires more research before becoming a convincing argument.

I am eager to read their article on Smith cove. They do seem to be doing some serious research on the whole mystery (unlike the Laginas)

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a little taken aback when Rick said tonight they were going to see if there actually where any finger drains in the cove, and especially when he said no pictures had ever been taken of them. When there have been pictures around forever, some with Dan B from the last time the drains were dug up...

Don't these guys do any basic research, like ask Dan B what he found and look at his pics, or do they just say stuff to make it sound like they may be onto something 'new'?

Disappointed in the whole show...maybe the chicken bone they found will turn out to be...well..a chicken bone..LOL

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess the filler tonight was to research a past president. Nohing of important was found this week. Maybe next week or next year.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
s_flypig.gif

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So big new show last night. Lots to discuss. Big reveals, treasure discovered, past prez linked to the Templar's, dead bodies of mining slaves found, 10x not done yet, box drain secrets revealed, Smiths Cove solved, portable coffer dams... some much info in just 60 mins!

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a waste of time todays show was... They reckoned last episode that air lifting 10X was the same cost as digging a new hole. What do the get a single bone (probably from someone's picnic lunch) and a couple of very small bits of wood. This wood could of easily fell down the hole if others had been using it to raise and lower stuff in 10x and it broke etc etc etc etc... What are they trying to imply it is part of a man made mine shaft from hundreds of years ago. That it must mean the rest of 10x is full of wooden pillars and beams....

The attempt to build the coffer dam in the hope of finding evidence of the box drains. Are they simply going to redig where Dunfeild dug before

smithscove.jpg

This pic shows the shore line and what Dunfeild dug. There coffer dam seems a lot smaller then that.

As shown in the photo Dunfeild has already dug this are to a pretty deep level. What do they expect to find. I see they have that same video that we were discussing in the other thread that appears to show the box drains as bits of it were used in the clip

in this video between about 8-11 mins in

[/QUOTE]

It did seem like the piece of wood they show on next week teaser looks pretty similar to these ones showed by Dunfeild on that old video.. If they are not the drains in the video what are they? Even the big square stone seems to fit the description.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

As for the stuff on the ex-president.. Who cares... He did not find anything as a young man and went on to great things.. How is that of any real relevance to finding the treasure...

Overall a very disappointing episode that showed us a small bone as there main find.......

Last edited:

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks gazzahk! I have never see that video before. That was pretty cool. Almost enough for me to partner up with the Lag boys! 50% is looking pretty good.
Ya lame show last night. That bone did look like a chicken bone but they will play it up and then not mention it again. Was that what clogged the air lift? Did not see much else come out. Those timbers had hand saw marks so they were old!?!??! The tar on the wood chips could suggest support beams for the underground network of Templar tunnels!!!! Once again they mention dating all the goodies but will they? Will they tell us the results? Will it be shoved under the rug like most of the other finds???
The portable coffer dam... busts during install.... luck? Plot twist? Attention diverter? The guy has done this hundreds of times, never bursted before... Curse of OI could be the cause??? Rick was pretty certain.
The FDR twist was just fluff to fill air time. Didnt expect anything from that or it would have been in the news years ago.
The previews looked good for the "box tunnels" and it does look similar to the part in the video from above. Will have to wait till next week!

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gazzahk...

I doubt they can get a permit anymore to dig like Dunfield did back then...just look at the damage his dig caused.

I really don't understand Rick's statement of no one ever having taken a picture of the box drains, as there are many of them as we all know...

The teaser showed a small backhoe doing a bit of work and a guy with shovel...not going to uncover much with those tools in this large area. The shovel guy all excited like he has hit a man made flood tunnel at the end of the clip...that's just about laughable. Notice in the Dunfield picture the two 'ponds', the closer one to the shore being the well/sump and the further one the cave in pit...no tunnel found between the two even with all of the extensive digging..They shouldn't have a problem locating the box drains since Dan B dug them up in 70'...as pictures show.

Part of the problem now is even if the did find anything, going to be hard to take them serious as they are being deceptive about things like "no pictures have ever been taken of the box drains"...plus all of the other junk that is obviously common items they try to pawn off as something else..

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So why no mention of the chicken bone in the war room? I was all ready for Dave Blankenship to say, "yeah, that SOB KFC drumstick fell out of my hands while I was waiting for my dad to finish his dive".

I agree with others on the FDR stuff. I literally fell asleep once watching the last 10 minutes, rewound it back to see if I missed anything, but fell asleep again. Glad to know I don't have to worry about a third try.

It'll be interesting to see where they dig the third hole in the money pit. Will they do a few bore holes first to find anything of interest, or will they just take a wild guess and go for broke?

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So why no mention of the chicken bone in the war room? I was all ready for Dave Blankenship to say, "yeah, that SOB KFC drumstick fell out of my hands while I was waiting for my dad to finish his dive".

I agree with others on the FDR stuff. I literally fell asleep once watching the last 10 minutes, rewound it back to see if I missed anything, but fell asleep again. Glad to know I don't have to worry about a third try.

It'll be interesting to see where they dig the third hole in the money pit. Will they do a few bore holes first to find anything of interest, or will they just take a wild guess and go for broke?

The big highlight of FDR was how nice the place was and he thought the French Crown jewels were on OI.... not buying that one.
Not sure how they figure where but they did show a big orange X somewhere in the Money Pit area. Last two holes only seemed to be 12' - 18' apart.

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The big highlight of FDR was how nice the place was and he thought the French Crown jewels were on OI.... not buying that one.
Not sure how they figure where but they did show a big orange X somewhere in the Money Pit area. Last two holes only seemed to be 12' - 18' apart.

People on this forum have mentioned using the late 1890's photo to dig exactly at the same spot that Chappel supposedly found the concrete layered wooden vault at approximately a 140 ft depth. However, someone else mentioned that this vault could be something left over from a previous excavation from the 1860's. I did some research on line but couldn't find any reference to another company digging down to that depth, let alone constructing a horizontal wooden shaft. Is there a more detailed account of what was actually performed on the island between 1860 and early 1890's?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread