Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So now compare it to the shots they show after "Deciphering" the puzzle....lol

La Formule French.png

La Formule english.png

No signature anywhere.....I believe the French Word of the Day is Voila......the words spoken when a magician makes something disappear.....with a slight of hand.....

Attachments

• LeFormule Cipher French.png
    LeFormule Cipher French.png
    545.2 KB · Views: 505

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is the nicest metal for having been buried in water for 200 years

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the nicest metal for having been buried in water for 200 years
Yep... Pretty amazing the lack of rust on the metal.. Find it pretty difficult to believe that is steel over 300+ years old..

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep... Pretty amazing the lack of rust on the metal.. Find it pretty difficult to believe that is steel over 300+ years old..

I can never tell whether the water in the holes is fresh or salt water. In fresh water, metal wouldn't necessarily corrode since there would be no oxygen in contact. It would depend more on the composition of the surrounding materials - soil, wood, other metal - which could have an ongoing process of electrolysis, which is also not likely given the mix of materials seen.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can never tell whether the water in the holes is fresh or salt water. In fresh water, metal wouldn't necessarily corrode since there would be no oxygen in contact. It would depend more on the composition of the surrounding materials - soil, wood, other metal - which could have an ongoing process of electrolysis, which is also not likely given the mix of materials seen.
As far as I am aware all the water in the holes they are digging is salt water from the cavities in the bedrock which are open to the ocean.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lady said. This is between 22-24kt rose gold.
That is impossible.
As 22-24kt is pure gold.
Sorry why is it impossible for the gold to be 22-24Kt?

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry why is it impossible for the gold to be 22-24Kt?

The appraiser stated that the cross was made of rose gold which is typically 75% gold, 22.25% copper, 2.75% silver, and coming in at 18k. There is a 22k rose gold, called crown gold, though, that is used in coinage.

reale bill

Feb 8, 2007
hold on while I put on my rubber gloves to examine this rusty railroad spike,I mean ship spike....yes,that's it,definitely a ship spike from a spanish galleon.

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing I liked about John Chatterton was that he was very conservative with his estimates and results. He never gave false hope. With the PHD lady last week I just felt that she was way too enthusiastic about the whole process, which could have led her to exaggerate her results. What I mean is that if in her estimation there was a 1% chance the metal plate was from the 1650's and a 99% chance from the early 1800's, she still decided to give the entire range for dramatic effect. The cut-off point of 1800 vs. let's say 1810 or 1820 was also interesting, since it eliminated the deeper excavation searches that came after the initial story. It was the same thing a few weeks ago with the old wood, where 1795 was given as the cut-off point. Were some tests dating in the early to mid 1800's purposely excluded? I don't know. Also, the fact that she automatically deduced that the plate was from a treasure chest definitely had my eyes rolling. It reminded me of the guy with the sonar camera stating that he was 90% certain that the rock at the bottom of 10X was a man made chest. If next week the spike is dated to the 1800's, then I'll officially take the rest of her analyses with a grain of salt.

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fresh Water?

In a Brine Pit?

With drains and channels to the coves?

Metal corrodes when it makes contact with ANYTHING......put two coins together in a sealed compartment with no air and no water/moisture.

The metal has its own alkaloid composition so that when it comes into contact with other objects they react......regardless of being underwater in saltwater or freshwater.

This also has an electrolysis effect and reacts when its in water........even faster......salt water accelerates the electrolysis and alkaloid reactions

But there has got to be a logical reason that the coin is so good looking......as in the reason being it just was removed from the envelope that it was delivered inside of....

from Ebay probably

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fresh Water?

In a Brine Pit?

With drains and channels to the coves?

I'm probably mis-remembering, but I remember at least one of the bore holes had encountered fresh water. In any case, in a static underground environment, it's still conceivable that buried and encased steel would survive after building up a protective film -

"Carbon steel pipes and vessels are often required to transport water or are submerged in water to some extent during service. This exposure can be under conditions varying temperature, flow rate, pH, and other factors, all of which can alter the rate of corrosion. The relative acidity of the solution is probably the most important factor to be considered. At low pH the evolution of hydrogen tends to eliminate the possibility of protective film formation so that steel continues to corrode but in alkaline solutions, the formation of protective films greatly reduces the corrosion rate. The greater alkalinity, the slower the rate of attack becomes. In neutral solutions, other factors such as aeration, became determining so that generalization becomes more difficult.

The corrosion of steels in aerated seawater is about the same overall as in aerated freshwater, but this is somewhat misleading because the improved electrical conductivity of seawater can lead to increased pitting. The concentration cells can operate over long distance, and this leads to a more nonuniform attack than in fresh water. Alternate cycling through immersion and exposure to air produces more pitting attack than continuous immersion."

Will steel rust fully submerged under fresh water? [Archive] - Shop Floor Talk

But all that hardware certainly looks modern, and all for more evidence, witness the brief clips that showed the nut and washer.

Last edited:

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are tons of ships that have sunk and been in the saltwater for 100's of years and are still there. Titantic sunk in 1912 I believe it was... granted that is only alittle over 100 years compared to that piece of metal they found in the hole..

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are tons of ships that have sunk and been in the saltwater for 100's of years and are still there. Titantic sunk in 1912 I believe it was... granted that is only alittle over 100 years compared to that piece of metal they found in the hole..

The Titanic is in freely circulating salt water, exposed to Rust-Eating bacteria, and appears to be melting away.

New Species of Rust-Eating Bacteria Destroying the Titanic

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The appraiser stated that the cross was made of rose gold which is typically 75% gold, 22.25% copper, 2.75% silver, and coming in at 18k. There is a 22k rose gold, called crown gold, though, that is used in coinage.
Nah double checked. Her words 22-24kt rose gold.
A mix up by her i imagine. Or some smoke and mirrors from the producers.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Sorry wrong tag ment to tag above

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Season 5...No Doubt About It!

[h=2]HISTORY’S “THE CURSE OF OAK ISLAND” DELIVERS SERIES HIGH 3.8 MILLION VIEWERS IN SEASON FOUR FINALE[/h][FONT=&quot]
HISTORY’S “THE CURSE OF OAK ISLAND” DELIVERS SERIES HIGH 3.8 MILLION VIEWERS IN SEASON FOUR FINALE “The Curse of Oak Island” Ranks As Cable’s #1 Original Series On Tuesday Nights In All Key Demos
New York, NY – February 23, 2017 – The Season Four finale of HISTORY’s hit unscripted series “The Curse of Oak Island” reached series highs with 3.8 million Total Viewers and 1.6 million Adults 25-54 on Tuesday night, according to Nielsen Media Research (Live+SD). Overall, “The Curse of Oak Island’s” fourth season was the show’s strongest ever in Total Viewers (3.2 million, +9% compared to Season 3) and key demos including Adults 25-54 (1.4 million, +6%), Adults 18-49 (1.1 million, +1%) and Men 25-54 (862,000, +5%). During Season Four, “The Curse of Oak Island” ranked as all of cable’s #1 original series on Tuesday nights in all key demos, including Adults 25-54, Adults 18-49 and Total Viewers (Live+SD, excluding sports, news, repeats and miniseries).
“We are proud of the compelling, creative progression of ‘The Curse of Oak Island’ and its continued growth,” said Jana Bennett, President and General Manager, HISTORY. “The passionate and authentic story-telling of Rick and Marty Lagina as they strive to solve one of the world’s most intriguing, unsolved mysteries is what resonates most with our viewers and keeps them coming back for more week after week.”
[/FONT]

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure they got Series High Ratings. It was the season finale and they showed some killer previews.
Too bad they couldn't offer up a Thumbs Up or Down vote for those who watched. I have a funny feeling they would have not liked the results.
I am not sure I will tune in if they have a season 5... not sure what else they can do other than chase silly ideas that have nothing to do with OI, dig up more wood and still think it is the vault, drain the swamp and then walk away after finding little to nothing or try the cove again?
Running out of fluff and filler gibberish.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=2]HISTORY’S “THE CURSE OF OAK ISLAND” DELIVERS SERIES HIGH 3.8 MILLION VIEWERS IN SEASON FOUR FINALE[/h]
Yep... They are cashing in even if they do not find treasure... They are selling the hunt and making the money that way...

This may mean they get given enough money to do a proper frozen ground dig next. That really is the only option left if they really do want to properly check out what they are finding below ground.

I know they use this method in Hong Kong (where I live) when digging the underground railway system. It totally solves water problems...

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nah double checked. Her words 22-24kt rose gold.
A mix up by her i imagine. Or some smoke and mirrors from the producers.
Thanks for picking up on that inconsistency... What really frustrates me is that they once again brought on the descendants and found 'some' corroborative evidence for their story and just decided to ignore it completely... Why do they not investigate properly. There is meant to be more remains left including gold coins and a gold nugget. At least the coins should be fairly easy to date and determine where they originally come from... They never mention the three chests that Fred found in the swamp that may be the same ones the descendants mention. Do these still exist? Fred did not seem like the type of guy to throw the stuff he found away...

They will investigate any loonies theory that has treasure still there but ignore anyone that suggests that treasure is not still there...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread