Seated liberty quarter union civil war id tag need advice

Oct 21, 2018
Florida cocoa beach
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 ,pro find 35, big stainless beach scoop , Root slayer Nomad
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg did not dig up recieved as a gift I would say Is this something special what to me of course special but historically is this something kind of rare

Upvote 17

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great coin I dont know much about civil war stuff there is a forum on just civil war relics but I would say thats a great relic and piece of history.. Great post Tommy

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool and interesting! I would think they would have put a hole in it to have it on a chain. Maybe that's why they lost it! :icon_thumright:

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would research the soldier and see what he did and where he was during the war and after. Cool item. It’s not something you see everyday.

DigginNorthernVa

Jul 9, 2018
Fairfax Station, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue and Gray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say it's an awesome gift! It's an ID tag from a New York soldier...Alfred Westfall, Co E 1st NY Veteran Volunteer Cavalry. He was 26 years old when he enlisted August 11, 1863 and mustered in as private. Promoted to sergeant Sept 1863 then to quartermaster sergeant March 1865. He mustered out in W Va July 1865. His unit saw a lot of action in the Shenandoah Valley, MD and W Va.

OP
OP
T
Oct 21, 2018
Florida cocoa beach
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Omg I got goose bumps reading your post I Wondering about who and where it from that is so awesome that you were able to ID I did not take the best pictures I met a guy from Virginia Fredericksburg I believe and he had all types of Civil War relics oh man

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super Find! :thumbsup:
Now, you need to look into this guy more, and report back to us!
Thanks!

OP
OP
T
Oct 21, 2018
Florida cocoa beach
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it would be great to personally hand this ID tag back to his descendants I will do everything I can to get some more info on this soldier and look for maybe even a photo thanks for all the help guys

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got goosebumps just reading all this. Hope we get to read more to this story. Good luck.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice piece of history, congrats! :occasion14:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you are interested in returning the tag to one of his kin, you might start with contacting the Ontario County historian at this site:https://www.co.ontario.ny.us/105/County-Historian
They will be able to help you with the genealogy and other records.
Don...........
PS: Since he enlisted in Geneva, NY (Ontario county), I have assumed he lived in the area and therefore the historian might be of help.
D/

Last edited:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!! It’s be really cool if You could trace down present family:) that’s Cool!!!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say it's an awesome gift! It's an ID tag from a New York soldier...Alfred Westfall, Co E 1st NY Veteran Volunteer Cavalry. He was 26 years old when he enlisted August 11, 1863 and mustered in as private. Promoted to sergeant Sept 1863 then to quartermaster sergeant March 1865. He mustered out in W Va July 1865. His unit saw a lot of action in the Shenandoah Valley, MD and W Va.

Great ID , If so BANNER !!!
All the way.

Instead of back tracking (i'm weird ) just read it's a gift , ...Still Cool . Lots of Fakes out there , so I'd research as best I could & go with my best opinion 'on it's "Provenance ".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions