What's new

Sebastian Inlet Shell

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cappy Z.
  • Start date Start date
C

Cappy Z.

Guest
Yea. I know. It 'ain't' gold. But my beautiful wife would like to know.

What is it? (lol) (a shell)
 

Attachments

  • Shell.jpg 007.webp
    Shell.jpg 007.webp
    10.7 KB · Views: 315
looks like barnacles to me but I'm not 100% certain.
 
Upvote 0
cntrydncr1 said:
looks like barnacles to me but I'm not 100% certain.



lol You are absolutely correct! I just hope barnacles aren't the leftovers from someones lobster dinner!
 

Attachments

  • barnacle_2.webp
    barnacle_2.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 265
Upvote 0
Cappy Z. said:
cntrydncr1 said:
looks like barnacles to me but I'm not 100% certain.



lol You are absolutely correct! I just hope barnacles aren't the leftovers from someones lobster dinner!
I was about to describe barnacles as molluscs - and lobsters as crustaceans,
then I checked my 'facts':
Quote from a very cool site.
For centuries, barnacles were thought to be molluscs because of their apparent possession of a shell. However, scientists in the nineteenth century discovered that barnacles are actually crustaceans and that their nearest relatives are shrimps, prawns and lobsters, as opposed to bivalve molluscs such as oysters and mussels. Common barnacles are loosely divided into goose barnacles and acorn barnacles.
from here http://www.fathom.com/feature/121900/index.html

and another quote from that site
EDITOR'S INTRODUCTION | Although barnacles have long been regarded as costly fouling agents, scientists are now making use of their remarkable capacity to accumulate concentrations of poisonous metals to assist in the management of environmental pollution. Phil Rainbow discusses the fascinating and bizarre world of barnacles, showing how barnacles are not only zoologically fascinating but terribly important economically.

So it definitely qualifies as a treasure :icon_thumleft:
Mike
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom