SEBEN EXTREME metal detector (Bad news)

Aug 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the past couple of days I have been putting the 'Seben Extreme' metal detector through its paces to see if it measures up to the maker's claims of it's professionalism, but I have to say that this machine failed dismally in every area.

After conducting a number of tests with this machine I was forced to conclude that it is nothing more than a rather expensive child's toy.

The manufacturer makes huge claims for the machine, but I found it was not capable of recognising any non-ferrous item smaller than an Australian 50 cent coin lying on top of the ground within the 'control area', let alone buried within the ground itself.

The construction of the machine itself also leaves a great deal to be desired.
It is quite flimsy by other detector manufacturer's standards and I serious doubt it would last very long at all before developing serious issues.

In conclusion I am forced to recommend that anyone considering purchasing any of the Seben ranmge of metal detectors should give them a BIG miss.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have never heard of this brand before, could you post more info on the detector? Where is made, who sells it, the cost?

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you done any research on it online..... It has some pretty bad reviews in general... It is not made by a metal detecting company, Seben seems to be in the general merchandise business, not specializing in any one thing. It would be like buying a detector made by Walmart....

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a couple of reports on these detectors on the Finds forum some years back. The thread remained but my posts didn't as I guess they don't like negative comments about detector brands.

Anyway, though sold through Germany and the name is designed to make you think you are buying German quality, you are in fact buying Chinese. Many ads suggest your getting an expensive detector at a bargain price but in fact your getting a cheap detector at a low price. If you only have a small amount to spend, and we have all been there, far better to go for a better known brand secondhand.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a couple of reports on these detectors on the Finds forum some years back. The thread remained but my posts didn't as I guess they don't like negative comments about detector brands.

Anyway, though sold through Germany and the name is designed to make you think you are buying German quality, you are in fact buying Chinese. Many ads suggest your getting an expensive detector at a bargain price but in fact your getting a cheap detector at a low price. If you only have a small amount to spend, and we have all been there, far better to go for a better known brand secondhand.

UK your right on..... I have tried to direct some people looking for cheap detectors to check our members forum, not always with good luck.......Don't know if they think I'm trying to push the clasifieds here because it is a charter member feature......In my opinion someone is a lot better off buying a good used detector from a member here than a new cheap detector somewhere else plus you will get a lot more bang for your buck as you get a detector with a lot more features.....99.9% of the members here that sell will stand behind their deal and you can get valuable info about the detector here...Those that want stand behid their deal have moderators and all of TN to deal with....

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate to say this but I dislike most of Chinese products. I know that nowadays most of the electronics are made in china but still I try to buy something that isn't, if possible.
My personal example is the Detectorpro, the pirate and pirate pro are made in china, even though they are made under the factory specs and are designed in USA I preferred to buy the wader version that is 100% made in USA.
If we all tried to stop buying Chinese products we would make the world a big favor, the economic world crisis we are all suffering is mainly because of china.
So if I need anything, from a plastic container to a t shirt, I check the tag and check where it was made. I don't care if I have to pay more, fact is that my extra money is helping the economy to get better.
Think about it....

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chinese detectors have at last started to become better and when they do match European/US performance and build quality I don't mind buying from them Everybody has to eat. I was a little upset a few years ago to buy a replacement Remington shaver with both box and the shaver itself with graphics of a U.S. flag. Got it home and in very small (almost magnifying glass size) writing it said "Made in China".
Many would say the world problems started with the U.S. exporting its toxic house loans abroad. The plus side is I've been looking at houses in Florida and you can buy a huge house now at a giveaway price so no excuse for anyone in work not to be able to afford to buy a home.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions