What's new

Second SLQ of 2009! (with video)

Brett

Bronze Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,591
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
My Dad dragged me along to a productive site of his today... hah, just kidding... I had a couple hours of time and was prodding him to go there. He did say he would save it for us to hunt... it's always fun when you can hunt with someone to give and receive high fives :)

Today started out with a 1920-p wheatie I dug pretty much right off the bat. Then my Dad dug one, but it was a 1944-d. I'm pretty sure I missed that one as he was going through a line I just went through. Then I got the greatest repeatable high tone I would get that didn't end up being a mason jar lid like the one I got later. Well as I'll tell you in the video, it was a bouncy dime penny signal, with a smidgen of quarter. When I switched from the default coins program to a quickmask of FE27, I was able to see how much iron was there. In one direction there was a lot, but in another it was all dime/quarter. I dug a nice HUGE plug because the ground back there is very rooty and I did not want to risk scratching the coin trying to saw through all the roots. Turned out there was a great signal about 5 inches down dead center of the hole. Out popped a silver quarter, and I knew it wasn't a washington right away by the edge. Looking at the face revealed a standing figure... bingo bango! A little washy washy and she's standing tall and proud. Turned out to be a 1918-s 8 over 7 variety! Well, you can see 19xx-s very clearly... the third number is most likely a 1 from what I can tell, so that leaves only one option for the fourth number.. 8 over 7 :) Oh, also out of the hole I pulled a large 1.5" diameter rusty ring to one side of where the SLQ was, and the spoon handle whatsit pictured with the token below was to the right side of the SLQ. Gotta love the E-Trac :) :) I got two more wheaties and a watch carcass. The Token was dug a different day at another farm site (the one my Dad got the 1909 barber dime from). I Finally got around to cleaning it up, and it's not half bad! I haven't done the research on it yet to know how old it is, but I'm guessing 1930's. My Dad got some other cool stuff today as well, I'm sure he'll post them. Oh, and after digging my first v-nick yesterday, that 1941-p nickel I dug today got me really excited. I felt like I was really understanding nickel signals on the E-Trac now. I was finally getting it on the SE Pro towards the end of 2008, and then I switched to the E-Trac. At least the learning curve for the E-Trac was quick!

05032009_1.jpg


05032009_2.jpg


05032009_3.jpg


05032009_4.jpg


 
Brett said:
I was finally getting it on the SE Pro towards the end of 2008, and then I switched to the E-Trac. At least the learning curve for the E-Trac was quick!
I hear you - I'm going through the same thing now!

Wow, Brett!!! Fantastic find! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_king:

Thanks for the video, too!

The best part of the whole deal is that you are out there enjoying hunting with your dad! :thumbsup: I have often though of how great that would be to be able to do that with mine. He's been gone a long time, but he sure could stretch a dollar. He would have freaked out if I could have shown him that there was free money in the ground. ;D You are lucky! :wink:
Neil
 
Aday said:
Ug...read that token...now I want cake. :tard:

Yeah, but is it cake or soap or soap cakes? Mmmm, soapy cakes.... lol.
 
Well gee, soap cakes, only you newfangled folks call 'em "soap bars" or "bars of soap".
Heck, is it soap or is it a bar?
It's a cake, and it comes in a, ready? SOAPBOX!

And while you got me up on mine lemme tell you,
NICE digs!
 
Thanks Tim. No wonder people have been putting bars of soap into their mouths over the years, for it's-not-really-punishment and for the thrill of putting an entire CAKE in your mouth. If only it had chocolate icing on it, it would make my 2000 and 1 parts smell really tasty.
 
Well done Brett! Your farm site is producing well for you and dad :thumbsup:

Nice hunt & SLQ!
watercolor
 
Nice quarter Brett ! I scanned that one the other day and left it for you to find. What a nice Dad, huh?
ha ha, actually I missed it completely :icon_scratch:

I love those old sites without the trash of a park or the stubble of the woods.

Great digs! :thumbsup:
 
Nice finds Brett!
I love those old tokens. Have you put much time in with that Vision yet? If so, how does it compare to the Etrack?
Mike
 
Mike, I recently hunted for about 6 days straight with the Vision. I found just as much stuff as my Dad who is experinced with the DFX, and also just as much as my brother who just started using the DFX the day prior to this span of time. I'm sure the Vision is a great detector, but I'm not convinced it's worth the premium price. I've put a lot of time into the SE Pro and E-trac now, and want to focus this year on finding loot, not learning a new detector. Hope that helps, I could be a lot more specific on the operation if I wasn't typing on my iPhone.
 
Great finds, congrats bud!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Hey Brett, Jon's dad had a vision out with us on Sunday at the woods. He did get a nice '54 Frankie right off the bat, but he said the Vision was little more than a DFX with new bells and whistles, and actually limited some targeting because of it's menu format.

He also noted that there seemed to be noticeable prop delay in the bluetooth headset application. So during a swing if he would get a signal, PP would indicate it was not where the signal originally sounded off. The difference was mere inches, but he said it was noticeable.

Would you agree it's little more than a dressed up DFX?
 
Awesome finds. I'm due on a silver quarter, my last one was a 1929 SLQ last October. I also happen to be overdue on a rosey. Last one, May 16th, last year. Only one I've ever found.

Joe
 
You guys were just waiting for my to leave town to hunt that site....I see how it is ;D Do either of you two ever go to work??? My goodness, Big high 5 from your brother on the SLQ.

Tim
 
Tim_IL said:
You guys were just waiting for my to leave town to hunt that site....I see how it is ;D Do either of you two ever go to work??? My goodness, Big high 5 from your brother on the SLQ.

Tim

What, ya think digging 50 holes a day isn't work? :icon_pirat:
 
Hi Again Brett,

Thanks for the update on that Vision, I mean Spectra. It's nice to get some usefull info instead of a bunch of sales hype.
Mike
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom