Secondary market silver

Hunting_Dad

Mar 25, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Simple question regarding secondary silver (1-5oz)…. Do I set it aside or add it to my “treasure chest” of circulated silver coins and rings?
The kids always like to check out my “treasure” when they come for a visit. Is there more value in protecting the finish or feeding their imagination…. Pretty sure i already know the answer, I just dont want to regret my decision. I still consider myself new to the metal detecting hobby and by no means a “coin collector. Thanks for your insight…HD

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's always good to indulge your children if they request to play with the treasure, it will make them more curious and motivated to gather some of their own. Any loss of value through scratching or tarnish is negligible compared to the value of the memories they will recieve. And it's not trifling, I still remember being 8 years old when my grandpa first showed me his secret coin collection and gave me his old metal detector so I could get my own coins too.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not do both? Indulge your children and protect your coins at the time. Teach them to wear light cotton gloves or nitrite gloves when handling your collectible coins. Protection and education. Can't beat that.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not do both? Indulge your children and protect your coins at the time. Teach them to wear light cotton gloves or nitrite gloves when handling your collectible coins. Protection and education. Can't beat that.
Spell check. That is Nitrile gloves.

OP
OP
H

Hunting_Dad

Mar 25, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Traveler…. I don’t yet have any “collectible “coins, just a small pile of circulated silver and odds and ends found metal detecting. I turned all my clad from the last couple years into silver rounds, specifically secondary market stuff. This was the first silver I ever bought. My plans were to add the rounds to my treasure chest and let the kids run their fingers through them, but they arrived in much nicer condition than I was expecting. Before I “ruined “them and I thought I would see what T-netters had to say.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread