What's new

SEF or WOT

bigscoop

Gold Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
14,653
Reaction score
9,097
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting ready to upgrade a couple of Excals. Am familiar with the WOT but have not used the 15" SEF. Just wanting to get some user feedback/comparison on the SEF VS WOT. Thanks!
 
Upvote 0
I have both a 12x15 and 15x18 SEF Butterfly coils and I like them both. The 12x15 is on an excal and have wot on another excal. I personally have no problem with either in the surf, sef even seems tiny bit easier to swing in the water. I hunt with harness attached to camelbac so weight is never an issue.

The 15x18 is for my sov gt and I love it. I can cover some area really quickly.
 
Last edited:
I also have a 15 x 12 SEF on my old Excal and love it. I mainly use it on the beach and calm daylight water. At first it took a little getting used to the long hot spot , but in a day or so was pinpointing quickly even in roughish water and dark. it is quite deep. If rough I switch to either a 10 or the original 8" coil. It does have some drag as it is larger. Very good to cover a lot of ground.
 
Treasure Hunter recommended it and I havent regreted it! He knows his stuff.
 
Treasure Hunter recommended it and I havent regreted it! He knows his stuff.

I know he does, and I'm leaning that way. :icon_thumright: (Ooops...there just went the power! Gotta go find a light.)
 
I am surprised to find no replys on the 15 inch wild orange thing (WOT)?
 
Is there a significant difference in depth or sensativity between the 12x15 SEF vs the 15x18 SEF. Obviously there is an increase in coverage with the 15x18, but do you loose sensativity or depth? Thanks, Papa
 
There is always a point where you loose sensitivity on a larger coil to smaller targets. Depth loose can come from coil shut down over very deep targets especially in larger coils working in a trashy area. I like the SEF coils.... they are fairly easy to PP as a DD coil and have good separation and sensitivity. I also like the narrower foot print. With the Sov disappearing it might get difficult to find these coils for the BBS machines.

Dew
 
I am surprised to find no replys on the 15 inch wild orange thing (WOT)?
WOT = Wonderful Orange Thing. Made by Coiltec. Coiltec use to make all of Minelabs coils before Minelab started making their coils in house.
Site is full of comments on the WOT if you do a search.... I own both, I usually one on one hunt and the other next time I hunt..... To me the wot is a little easier in the water, less resistance, but the difference is so small it doesn't matter to me...

I have not noticed any loss of target size with the 15x18 I use, but I am not looking for grains of gold...... It has no problem seeing small tiny gold rings and that is what I care about....
 
I've only used the SEF once with Treasure Hunter but I really liked it. Seemed to perform very well even when cranked up quite a bit. The WOT, it took me a while to figure something out with this coil that really made a "huge" difference in it's performance, especially in the water. "You must maintain a strong battery/current supply if you want to get the most out of it". Unlike the smaller coils, the WOT requires a steady flow of strong current to keep it running stable in heavy saline conditions. Once this current delivery starts to weaken so will the coil's/machine's performance. This same thing is true of my CZ-21 with 10.5 coil, once the flow of current becomes too weak I have to start cranking the sensitivity back in order to maintain stability. I just started encountering this today with the CZ near the end of the day. Machine was still hunting, battery test indicated "only a weakening power supply"..but I had to dial the sensitivity back from 9 to about 6 in order maintain stability. Set at 6 I could probably hunt another 5 or 6 hours but not at optimum performance.
 
There is always a point where you loose sensitivity on a larger coil to smaller targets. Depth loose can come from coil shut down over very deep targets especially in larger coils working in a trashy area. I like the SEF coils.... they are fairly easy to PP as a DD coil and have good separation and sensitivity. I also like the narrower foot print. With the Sov disappearing it might get difficult to find these coils for the BBS machines.

Dew

Thanks! Good to know for the next purchase. Papa
 
I always tune my excal to the beach I'm hunting no matter what coil i'm using, I hunt half the time with a wot other half with 12x15 sef butterfly. I personally see no difference as far as performance and depth.

Bscoop the excal I loaned you was charged over night and has NiMH 1500 mA battery not the stock battery, I get min of 12-14 hours on a full charge.
 
Last edited:
I always tune my excal to the beach I'm hunting no matter what coil i'm using, I hunt half the time with a wot other half with 12x15 sef butterfly. I personally see no difference as far as performance and depth.

Bscoop the excal I loaned you was charged over night and has NiMH 1500 mA battery not the stock battery, I get min of 12-14 hours on a full charge.

It was a sweet running machine. :icon_thumleft:
 
Price wise the Coiltecs are much more expensive then the same size SEF at kellyco. Plus you get a free coil cover with the SEF.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom