Self explainatory

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do any of you folks know at what period of time these brass cattle tags were used?

69 Tag.jpg

Used very little.
Dug on Civil War battle site. Perhaps a friendly fire incident, LOL!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cow tag. They have been used 100 years and occasionally you still see one being used, most now are plastic. Yours is probably 1940's or so.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen numerous tags dug, but have never dug one myself.

Upvote 0

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DSC_0440.jpg

Sorry about hijacking, here is one my dad found at Brandy Rock farms. I would guess it's about the same age as yours. I'm not sure what kind of metal this is. What kind of signal did you get?

Upvote 0

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen numerous tags dug, but have never dug one myself.

I dug one in a Union camp once (I’m sure it had also been used as a pasture at some point) and just KNEW I was digging a plate. It was oval and that confirmed it! Then I wiped off the dirt and....[emoji12]

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Smokey I think maybe when I was young they hadn't started using plastic yet but then I
can't remember brass either. That would be a considerable cost today to put one on every animal
in a large herd.

It's probably been 20 yrs since I dug this Rusty. This is one of the few times I used my Fisher CZ 20
on dry land. I didn't find anything else that day but a knapsack button and a bunch of plow parts.
Needless to say, it got my attention! A road construction crew had cut this path through the bush
to make a new entrance to a Firehouse and they hadn't been able to take much of the overburden
away. There were so many limestone ledges that they broke steps and such off the heavy equipment.
I couldn't make sense why any one would have taken a plow in there anyway. This was on part of the
McKay plantation. They were the first actual settlers in our area. They built a log cabin by a spring
a proper stone fortress on the hill behind it and another stone home just north of there. There I found
a picket pin still in the ground just 5 ft off of US rt 340.

Thanks for reading folks!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions