selling parts instead of scrapping them: which sell well?

ilyaz

Oct 2, 2010
Have you ever tried selling pieces of what you scrap for parts? Which parts tend to sell better?

I recently butchered a couple of old microwaves and surprisingly quickly sold their glass platters on eBay . Then it occurred to me that a platter is probably the single most easily sold microwave part because (i) it breaks easily and (ii) it can also be replaced quickly and easily. (Not that I am the 1st one on this forum to realize this but it was still nice to have an A-ha moment :) )

I presume that other microwave parts such as magnetrons, transformers etc can't be sold as easily. Still, do some have a better market than others? Other than eBay or craigslist, where else could I try selling them? I live in a large metro area, can I expect to find a Mom-and-Pop-type shop that fixes electric appliances and would be willing to buy used parts?

What about other appliances? Which of their parts, if any, sell better?

Thanks!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When dealing with people wanting me to deliver, I tell them I charge $25 to deliver, saves a lot of BS. I also tell them I've got an appointment showing up in a hour. If they can be here in 30 minutes OK if not oh well. Guess everybody thinks we got time to sit around waiting for them. If you're dealing with a lot of appliances go to some of the shops and talk to them. Most of the guys I talked to were really glad to show me what was worth pulling. They wanted schematics & manuals, but stupid me I chucked em. I've got a file with their numbers and stuff they're looking for. To me EBay sucks with the fees & BS. Craigs list & yard sales work around here. That's just my 2 cents worth, might not work for you.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Stove parts can sell well on ebay.

Knobs, switches, burners and timers can do okay. I don't think you'll get rich doing it, but money is money.

You'll have to list as a 30 day listing, and play the wait-and-see game, but they should sell. I met a guy once that only listed used stove parts.

Take some time to study the completed listings on appliance parts to get a good feel.

For someone like me, I'd rather have a used part for $20 than a new one at $75.

Buy It Now is the only way to list...if your stove or washer is out, you don't want to wait on an auction to win a part!!!!!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
clovis97 said:
Stove parts can sell well on ebay.

Knobs, switches, burners and timers can do okay. I don't think you'll get rich doing it, but money is money.

You'll have to list as a 30 day listing, and play the wait-and-see game, but they should sell. I met a guy once that only listed used stove parts.

Take some time to study the completed listings on appliance parts to get a good feel.

For someone like me, I'd rather have a used part for $20 than a new one at $75.

Buy It Now is the only way to list...if your stove or washer is out, you don't want to wait on an auction to win a part!!!!!
Dead on excellent advice!! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :headbang: :hello2:

Like I said earlier, pay some visits to repair shops & repairmen, they're most always looking for stuff. Keep a list or card file of who wants what.

Randyd

Mar 8, 2011
Kalifornia
I called the manufacturer about a new glass platter for my microwave. The lady said $79.00... plus shipping. The whole thing didn't cost that much new! The lady said plus shipping.... I hung up.
I bought microwave in a thrift store for about $8.00 paid for it, took the glass out and told the clerk she could have the oven.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Randyd said:
I called the manufacturer about a new glass platter for my microwave. The lady said $79.00... plus shipping. The whole thing didn't cost that much new! The lady said plus shipping.... I hung up.
I bought microwave in a thrift store for about $8.00 paid for it, took the glass out and told the clerk she could have the oven.
And back on the shelf it went with a new $7.50 price tag ;D ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread