Selling your extras

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find a lot of random old glass bottles and such and even though I'm not really a collector I drag this stuff home as if it's worth something, but honestly I don't know if I'm just dragging in someone else's trash or if people actually buy this stuff.

Where are some of the places you guys unload your extras, aside from eBay and Coinstar?

I was talking to an antiques dealer and got the impression that circulated and dug coins were basically worthless (even if it's a 100 year old error), and antiques pretty have to be in like new condition.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dug silver is pretty much worth scrap value generally unless you have a key date.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is true, but sometimes it really isn't worth the gas it takes to haul the dead weight home, even though everyone says "oh wow that's neat", do they really buy the stuff?

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Flea markets work good for me. I have met collectors there that only purchase there and at yard sales.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is true, but sometimes it really isn't worth the gas it takes to haul the dead weight home, even though everyone says "oh wow that's neat", do they really buy the stuff?

This question is it really worth the gas is a personal question only. It really depends on your situation, like place to store it or time to mess with it. I run across stuff all the time that I can either sell or scrap. It depends on what space it takes up and the price I would get either way.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
As far as old bottles go, I have set several bitters out and very nice local druggist embossed glass, all over 120 years old, at several yard sales, for $1 ea. Not even a bite!

But the folks go ga-ga over the 30 year old Coke and Pepsi aluminum cans.

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I loaded up 28 bottles in a box and took them to a friends house, his wife bought all of them at $1 each, I cut her a break and took $25. I kept my blues.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not smart enough to know how to figure the extra diesel required to haul an extra pound of finds home in my F250.:hello:
Back to reality though, yard sales and flea markets are the place to get rid of stuff. Just don't expect too much for them.
Marvin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread