Sem-Newb: Possible 1974-D Double Die? "Im terrible at spotting them, help"

gmoney000

Greenie
Jun 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sem-Newb: Possible 1974-D Double Die? "I'm terrible at spotting them, help"

Hey all,

I've been coin roll hunting boxes since late June and have found a total of 24oz !!!!
Note: Newbs stay patient and try different things, it will come eventually, I was in
the same boat many of you are just a few months ago!!

However, I do not have the experience to know of all the error coins "I do 85% halve / 15% dimes"
I am sure that is what the search button is for and the past posts on here though. But, I was just wondering
if I could get a quick yes or no about this particular 1974 D coin being a Double Die... If you have the time to enlighten me on specifics or particular coins to watch out for then amazing... if not not worries I will search

Once again... thanks to all on this site! Mainly because of you guys is why I have 24 oz of silver

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg
BBBEDCDC-8429-469E-B9EF-E7E5D159E176-12894-000003F6BD671B6C.jpg

23BDC623-6B42-4472-9DDA-DBDE7FAF6DB3-12894-000003F6B6A13839.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hard to tell from your pic, but I don't think you have one. I look at the R in TRUST first thing. The leg of the R is doubled pretty good - it may just be really thick in worn examples, but when you put it side by side w/a non-DDO it's easy to tell. Also see the T & Y in LIBERTY. See my pic. Hope that helps!

Attachments

• image-399878305.jpg
    image-399878305.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 138
I've zoomed in on the photo that you provided, but it isn't clear enough to give a definitive Yes/No. I'm leaning towards no, but my mind wants to see things that might not be there. Clearer photos will be easier to ascertain the DDO. Focus on the 74 and TRUST. No need to photograph the reverse.

New Pics... " Try opening in new tab and clicking on to zoom in " thanks all!

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

What they said: Check the R in 'Trust' for doubling, particularly that leg on the R. I was nervous about missing a possible '74-D DDO when I first started looking, but trust me, it's quite apparent, even to the naked eye (assuming you have fairly good vision, that is). My first '74-D DDO was pretty beat up, but I could still see the doubling on it. No worries ;)

On a related note, if you like looking for errors, the book 'Strike it Rich from Pocket Change' is a great resource ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back