Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out of work early and headed to The Park. It took a bit of test searching, but I found an "old" area I'll return to when there's more time. Did manage two Indians: 1870 and 1883, as well as some pottery pieces and green glass, along with an unusual button-looking object that is hard rubber on the front and a very sound shank on the back.
Finds.jpg

Upvote 7
Explain what a semi-key IHP is?

I have several thousand IH's....except key dates, all others must be semi-keys...:icon_scratch:

Last edited:
It means it has been turned into a key for a semi....I guess. But you can send it to me and I can change it back to an IH....:tongue3: Congrats on finding a good spot!

Hey Stefen,

I consider the lower mintage 1870s and the 1864L as semi-keys, and reserve the key date to a the 1877, 1908S and 1909S, which are the hardest to find.

Found this quote that I think communicates the idea "Semi-keys are the coins you can't find. Keys are the coins you can't afford even if you could find".

Only five other IHC's have a lower mintage than the 1870 (5,275,000), so it's definitely a semi-key date. Great find!

Thanks FBT. It always a thrill to pull and Indian form the '70s. We're all hoping for the "77".

Ive found at least two 1870 IHP recently. All in bad shape. Not counting the 1877 annd s mint variety, only the 69,71 and 72 are worth more. Have not found those years

Last edited:
Toasted, congrats on your 1870 twins. Indians in this park vary in condition, some come out nice and green, others not so good, but there are many left, and there are tales of 1877s being found here.

Toasted, congrats on your 1870 twins. Indians in this park vary in condition, some come out nice and green, others not so good, but there are many left, and there are tales of 1877s being found here.

Ive been hitting lots of indians from the mid 70's to early 80's at my old fairgrounds site. Over 60 at last count. Nobody dropped an 1877 though :(

Thanks ATW. Will get back there in the next week and we'll see what else surfaces.

I too have been lucky on a few of those semi key Indians, a couple in very nice shape, especially my 1873. I don't know why for sure but the Indian Head Cent is one of my favorite finds. My XP Deus loves finding them!
Congrats on your Indian Head Cent!

It means it has been turned into a key for a semi....I guess. But you can send it to me and I can change it back to an IH....:tongue3: Congrats on finding a good spot!

It means "semi-key" date. I have a problem with the Indian Head series and what the Red Book refers to as "key Dates". An example is the 1864 "L" with a relatively low value, which is considered a key date, vs. the 1870 with having a MUCH higher value. I've even seen the low value 1864 "L" up on the banner. ???

I was lucky enough to find this SUPERB 1870 a few months back, along with two "semi-key" 1869s at the same site.

IMO, the 1870 is a KEY DATE and a GREAT FIND! Congratulations!

1870o.jpg1870r.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back