Seminole War Forts

OP
OP
armchairQB30

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
Tabdigger,

Fort Cooper is now a State Park as you know, the question is do you have water on your land? Is your land on high ground? Which direction is the Fort from your property? Do you have any old maps? I do. There is one other research technique that I can show you that I learned from the master of research Harry Rainey. My initial thoughts are......are you near a trail route or a camp site outside of the fort? Have you found any musketballs yet? Dont throw away anything you have found.

Look at all of Relicdudes posts, he is a master at finding Florida forts and camps, he has found some very exciting things. Relicdude's finds are from 1700 -1865 and maybe earlier. You should be finding some other stuff also but I will keep my mouth shut in regards to that. (wink)

arm

tony_k_Orlando FL

Jun 18, 2008
TabDigger,

I am in Orlando and interested in swinging the coil with ya for a while, let me know when you are going to give it a shot.

Arm, known Harry R. back around 20 yrs ago. Good fella :thumbsup:

Tony

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the mention of archeologists means its probably protected in some form know, so THEY can return..gregg but it was a nice story...gregg

OP
OP
armchairQB30

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
Its all about maps and research. I spend three months sometimes researching and then two months talking to landowners before I even pick up my MD. The feeling of finding a button that someone lost 190 years ago is very satisfying and makes you think about that person and how they lived. To date I have found two Forts and one virgin battlefield from the Second Seminole War. The artifacts and relics yielded have been very nice. It also has a special connection for me because of my time in the Army. I know the hardships these guys endured in service to their country. I dig with respect for the past and treasure these items with high esteem. Some day I hope to loan them to a museum.

Tabdigger, send me a pm and I will share some research with you.

"Luck always follows research".

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
florida and everywhere....
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
I myself really aint into the artifacts.I"m looking for GOLd and SILVER...ha
Matter of fact ,If I ever do find some artifacts(buttons,buckels,ect) someone on here that COLLECTS them, notice I said "COLLECTS", not sale the stuff, they can have whatever I find !!I literally have no intrest in it.I found some pieces of pottery or china(it was white with blue pictures or ink) that I literally picked up, looked at, and threw it right back in the water.I know it was old because someone found some more pieces(befor I found mine) and turned it into the state park, now its on display in a glass case at the state park farmerly know as Fort So-and-so(cant remember the real name).!!It wasnt worth anything, pieces were to little.
Any old guns or sword Armchair?If you dont want to say, I understand....Jody

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I collect old pottery bits ( love em) -- I try to gather all of them I can ---and learn as much as possible about what country and time frame their from --that way if I find similar pottery bits at a shipwreck site ( often bits of crockery wash ashore from nearby wrecks) -- to a person well versed in them ---they can be used to help id the vessels country of origin and time frame of her wrecking ( old spanish type pottery shards that have washed ashore could be a tip off to a possible nearby treasure wreck ) so those "worthless" plate shards might not be so "worthless" after all -- next to coins (because their dated in most cases)--pottery is a great age range item. :wink:

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
florida and everywhere....
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
Well heck Ivan....I know now.I know "exactly" where I tossed them and there is no current or waves in the "sulpher hole".When I'm back down that way, Ill see if they are still there and get them for you...Jody
They are small, but big enough you can tell what it is,say like the size of a dime or so...

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
mr jody thank you for your offer to get plate shards for me --most kind --

now i got a toughie -- a florida confederate civil war era fort near callahan , florida -- camp trapier8

while researcching I stumbled arcoss this forts name in major stocktons letter to his wife * it was said to be close to water and not far from callahan, flotida 8

sadly i think it was near modern day ratliff (along A1A -thomas creek area) where a auto junk yard now sits today --nut in this case i hope i'm wrong --the ONLY thing i ever found with this forts name in it was the single letter and now the state of florida it seems has "removed" the letter from its links to civil war letters in its archive -- stocktons later letters are there but not this one anymore. odd

tony_k_Orlando FL

Jun 18, 2008
ivan-

Thanks for posting about the nearby Ft Site. I was recently in Jax for about 4 days and didnt even once think of trying to locate any ft sites while up there. I sure could have put that spare time to good use.

Glad you woke this thread up some.

Tony

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
If you folks ever do organize and do a hunt, and you'd like an experienced detectorist with a couple backup machines and some really old explorers' maps of the area to join, please send me a pm. I am about 30 minutes North of Tallahassee.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
FT MICANOPY FOUND

Gary Ellis,Dir. GULF ARCHAEOLOGY RESEARCH INSTITUTE,INC,announced that he has discovered the location of 1835 FT Defiance/ 1837 FT Micanopy in (where else) downtown antique haven -Micanopy.:laughing7:Artifacts found at the corner of Ocala and Division streets include bullets,buttons,and a human jawbone.

rickjr

Jul 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in, I live in West Palm Beach. I'm now cured of a very serious disease that kept from doing any MDing. Hope none of you have it or get it. It's called a JOB.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
i wanna go too:hello2:
SSChick,a good place to start from Live Oak,is to look for FORT EAGLE,about 10miles southeast of Live Oak. Remember,if a Florida town name begins with "FORT",it began as a outpost,redoubt,or fort during the Spanish colonial,English colonial,or the Seminole wars period.
Other forts in north central Florida:
FT Butler 1838-Astor,west bank of the St Johns River
FT Call-1836-Volusia,east bank of the St Johns River
(both also saw action in 1864 when CSA Capt. JJ Dickinson raided them)
FT Gates 1835-4 Mi. south of the mouth of the Oklawaha on the west bank of the St Johns River
Ft Cass-near White Springs in the Suwannee River
Ft Crane-NE corner of Paynes Praire near Gainesville
Ft Crum-West end of Paynes Prairie,6 mi. from Micanopy
Ft Dabney 1838-West bank of the Suwannee River near Old Town
Ft Dowwning 1840-On the Suwannee River,9 mi from the mouth of the Santa Fe River
Ft Drane 1836-NW of Ocala,between Flemington and Reddick
Ft Fanning 1838-At Fanning Springs
Ft Florida 1836-North of Lake Monroe,east bank of the St Johns River
FT Halliman 1836-Citrus County, on the WITHLACOOCHEE,12 mi east of its mouth
Ft McCoy 1838-west bank of the Oklawaha,town of Ft McCoy
Ft Volusia 1836-3 mi south of Lake George on a large indian shell mound,east bank St Johns River
Ft Wheelock 1840-SW side of Orange Lake
Ft Wool-west bank of the Suwannee,10 mi from its mouth
Ft Fowle 1839-East bank of the Oklawaha at Sharpes Ferry (also saw action during the Civil War -the Union raid at Marshall Plantation *see my post under Treasure legends/SWAMP GOLD)
Yes,I passed over many of the obvious sites. GOOD HUNTING!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions