bofusmosby
Jr. Member
- Joined
- Apr 28, 2011
- Messages
- 95
- Reaction score
- 61
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Tampa Florida
- Detector(s) used
- Many many different ones
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
As Jon Phillips mentioned, the Tampa Bay area has seen activity for hundreds of years. I too have found many items at Fort Brooke that pre-date the fort by over a hundred years. I have also found a pipe bowl dating to the 1600's. The minnie balls were being used during the 3rd Seminole war time period (1850's), as well as musket balls. The switch-over to percussion had alread taken place, but there were still some of the old firearms still in use by the Malitia. There has been activity throughout this area for so many years, it doesn't surprise me that artifacts have been found in places that are un-documented in books.
As far as Blockade Runners being sunk in the Hillsborough river, there was a man by the name of Pop Taylor that was diving these sites back in the 60's, before they had been stripped of the artifacts, andI have heard of some interesting items that were being found at this time.
When Fort Brooke was established in 1824, the military were still using the same buttons that had been used during the War of 1812. Back then for the most part, as long as the items were still useable, they were used. I have found a number of artifacts over the years that were of the War of 1812 vintage throughout various fort sites.
As far as Blockade Runners being sunk in the Hillsborough river, there was a man by the name of Pop Taylor that was diving these sites back in the 60's, before they had been stripped of the artifacts, andI have heard of some interesting items that were being found at this time.
When Fort Brooke was established in 1824, the military were still using the same buttons that had been used during the War of 1812. Back then for the most part, as long as the items were still useable, they were used. I have found a number of artifacts over the years that were of the War of 1812 vintage throughout various fort sites.
hunting the actual fort site isn't looking to good, but I'll take this place any day! I dug up a herty cup fragment too! So some sweet stuff is in order!
The good thing with my house is that I'm slowly excavating the whole thing so im not missing anything here and getting more than the non-ferrous targets.






