Everyone has thier own oppinions. Me on the other hand, I look at the states, or government getting a piece of the action and THEM NOT doing the research or findings, they pretty well use the finder as "CHEAP LABOR" doing ALL the reasearch and work, then the government getting thier share.
It frustrates me that if the government wants it that bad, they should use the funding, personnel and go research, dive, dig, or whatever if they wanted to get it that bad. So the LAZY A$$ government don't want to spend money, they use treasure finders, so they can get a BIG CHUNK of share or RAPE the researcher/finder from ALL found treasure/cache!
Me, if I found several MILLIONS of DOLLARS worth of treasures and the state, government, or archological society wanted a piece of it and was fighting to get it. I would spend all of it to use against them in one heck of a fight. I would sue the government for either all of it, or for me doing my years of research and doing all the work, because if I didn't research or find it, the government surely wouldn't do it, so what right do they have getting it? My oppinion, if it was me, I would sue the governement for $500,000,000.00 finders fee for my research and work, JM $0.02
Greed of people for thier own gains, like ex-spouses, girlfriends/boyfriends, long lost relatives and friends you never knew you had or heard of, or just people who want to cash in on someone else. It is a sad state we live in and the court system sucks and allows it to happen, they don't care because that makes them more money. I have my own oppinions as to do with people like that, but I will remain silent. The laws are jacked up, if one gets arrested for something that they truely didn't do or have no affiliation with said crime, or whatever. It isn't "innocent until proven guilty", But, "prove you are not guilty" The government and court systems are ALL about the money!
I go gambling once in a while. If I invite someone along who I am friends with, (just for the company), I make an agreement with them, If I win anything, we split 50/50, if they win anything we split 50/50. Some people may disagree, but it shows true friendship and that way both of you come out ahead. I have won money and split it, and people I brought along won money and split it. We split it immediately after the winning. Generally we are close to each other so we can see if the other one wins anything. I usually walk out with more money because I set a spending limit out of my right pocket and put my winnings in my left pocket, hence, when my right pocket is empty, it is time to leave.
As far as doing research on something and inviting someone to come along and detect with you, generally one who is invited is a friend or a new friend, and findings should be shared, because later on that person may research something and invite you along. Friends will most likely ALWAYS be there for you where as girlfriends/boyfriends and maybe spouses will never last, we ALL can use GOOD HONEST friends. Even some friends never last, but if you are going to bring someone along or if they invite you, make an agreement with each other. If you invited someone along and you did all the research and they find a big expensive item would you think you should get to keep it or would you feel they should give it to you because you did the research and invited them along and vice versa if they did the research? Now if it is something that can be sold, split the money or buy the other out, or lets say your friend found 3 barbers, and you found 13 babers and 2 wheaties, but he did the research, be a good friend and split it with them, make sure that if you did the research that they do the same. Pocketing something really worth finding and keeping it secret is dishonest if you have an agreement with someone you brought along and vice versa, but don't want either to know about it. In reality, everyone has some sort of greed in us regardless no matter what, whether it is money, monitary items, toys, food, etc.