Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hunted for treasure in almost every environment imaginable but never in the sewers of a big city (or any sewers for that matter). I don't plan on actually taking part in such an endeavor (given the inherent risks of death through various means [e.g. Hydrogen Sulfide, etc.] and trespass laws) but I have been doing alot of reserch on the subject, and suprisingly it was once a common practice.

Apprently back in the day, when most money still came in the form of gold and silver coins, the sewers were a playground for treasure hunters looking to earn a quick fortune. Brave souls would enter with merely candles for light and poke around in the sludge for treasures. Because of the action of flowing water valuable coins of gold and silver would often become deposited based on their density, and concentrate at specific points - much like how the bends of rivers coalesce placer gold.

But because coins (and other similar sized objects) of various compositions (including iron) would all become concentrated in one small area, such as a depression in the brick floor, the treasure would form a singular mass - a conglomeration. The iron would rust and encase the silver and gold coins within like a large geode. These conglomerations were the top prizes of the sewer treasure hunters. The stories say that when you would break these objects open with a hammer it wouldn't be surprising to find handfuls of silver and gold coins.

My question is, can it be possible that conglomerations of silver and gold coins from the 19th century through the first half of the 20th century still exist waiting to be found in some old sewer networks in NYC (or any city)? And if they do exist, would a modern sewer worker even recognize it as valuable or merely as a worthless stone. If the sewers were ever thoroughly cleaned and such conglomerations were simply thrown into some pile somewhere there may be a fortune just laying around and nobody would even know it. So take this advice - if you ever find a big ball of seemingly nondescript rust - whack it with a sledgehammer and see if it's full of treasure.

This is a video that talks about a 19th century treasure hunter who made his living simply by finding treasure in the sewers of Victorian London:

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked for a public utility for almost 30 years , our pipes were not big enough to walk through but I still found lots of jewelry and coins in that time . most were from jetting and vac work ''that's how sewers are cleaned'' what was sucked up was dumped on a concrete Shute that led to a lagoon. the shute held hundreds of coins over the years and some rings as well . I always had free money for the drink machine and snack machine.
Sewers also are full of needles , razor blades and many diseases .

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked for a public utility for almost 30 years , our pipes were not big enough to walk through but I still found lots of jewelry and coins in that time . most were from jetting and vac work ''that's how sewers are cleaned'' what was sucked up was dumped on a concrete Shute that led to a lagoon. the shute held hundreds of coins over the years and some rings as well . I always had free money for the drink machine and snack machine.
Sounds like you made the best out of a shitey situation.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
From owning a scrap yard I bought gold and silver off 2 guys that did the storm systems of Toronto.
Nothing major they just wanted to do it on the QT.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am reminded of a line from Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?

2b68941203f0b4283af9e818ac3a31a8573d254b03dbd3472ab2a3c3e1ddc81c.jpeg

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you made the best out of a shitey situation.
yes it was dirty work but paid real well and I have a great pension until the day I die. once while cleaning a bar screen I found a $20 . bought the coworkers McDonalds with it. the cashier took the twenty and then licked her fingers to count out the change .

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The city workers in the town I live have told me about their finds from the wastewater treatment area and one of the guys funds trips to Las Vegas every few years with what he finds.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes it was dirty work but paid real well and I have a great pension until the day I die. once while cleaning a bar screen I found a $20 . bought the coworkers McDonalds with it. the cashier took the twenty and then licked her fingers to count out the change .
Now you need to tell us how you accompshed the next to impossible task of not rolling on the floor busting up when she did that.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now you need to tell us how you accompshed the next to impossible task of not rolling on the floor busting up when she did that.
Not so nasty, years ago I'd hit three car washes drains. I had a shop vac & inverter in the back of my van. Pull up next to the wash sink & flush the schegma out of the vac Quick sweep down the wall where everyone hung their floor mats and they'd dump the bins for the vacs. on to the next. I'd be still doing this, but too many dope deals going on these days in car washes.

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Wasn't it Norton on the Honeymooners the guy who worked the sewer.

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hunted for treasure in almost every environment imaginable but never in the sewers of a big city (or any sewers for that matter). I don't plan on actually taking part in such an endeavor (given the inherent risks of death through various means [e.g. Hydrogen Sulfide, etc.] and trespass laws) but I have been doing alot of reserch on the subject, and suprisingly it was once a common practice.

Apprently back in the day, when most money still came in the form of gold and silver coins, the sewers were a playground for treasure hunters looking to earn a quick fortune. Brave souls would enter with merely candles for light and poke around in the sludge for treasures. Because of the action of flowing water valuable coins of gold and silver would often become deposited based on their density, and concentrate at specific points - much like how the bends of rivers coalesce placer gold.

But because coins (and other similar sized objects) of various compositions (including iron) would all become concentrated in one small area, such as a depression in the brick floor, the treasure would form a singular mass - a conglomeration. The iron would rust and encase the silver and gold coins within like a large geode. These conglomerations were the top prizes of the sewer treasure hunters. The stories say that when you would break these objects open with a hammer it wouldn't be surprising to find handfuls of silver and gold coins.

My question is, can it be possible that conglomerations of silver and gold coins from the 19th century through the first half of the 20th century still exist waiting to be found in some old sewer networks in NYC (or any city)? And if they do exist, would a modern sewer worker even recognize it as valuable or merely as a worthless stone. If the sewers were ever thoroughly cleaned and such conglomerations were simply thrown into some pile somewhere there may be a fortune just laying around and nobody would even know it. So take this advice - if you ever find a big ball of seemingly nondescript rust - whack it with a sledgehammer and see if it's full of treasure.

This is a video that talks about a 19th century treasure hunter who made his living simply by finding treasure in the sewers of Victorian London:

Twenty years ago, a fellow I knew worked for our city's water and sewer department. He ran a machine

I had a friend who worked for the local street department and he operated a large machine that sucked out the storm sewer basins. They dumped the debris at the city re-cycling center. He got the idea to check this huge pile of half rotted debris with a cheap metal detector. He claimed to have found silver dollars and many other old coins from when the storm sewers were installed.

I took my detector to this huge pile on a hot summer's day and the smell was BAD! I did find a handful of newer coins along with a couple of wheaties. I am sure that if this pile was ever leveled off, there would be loads of older coins.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not so nasty, years ago I'd hit three car washes drains. I had a shop vac & inverter in the back of my van. Pull up next to the wash sink & flush the schegma out of the vac Quick sweep down the wall where everyone hung their floor mats and they'd dump the bins for the vacs. on to the next. I'd be still doing this, but too many dope deals going on these days in car washes.
I scored mega change at car washes when i was a kid... that and parking meters were my favorites.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread