Sharpening tools

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I use a single cut file for touch ups , or on soft steel.
Match previous bevel. Often just one side of a shovel. (The one away from edge of hole being cut. If that makes sense.)

I use a four inch grinder on real bad edges first , but use caution not to overheat them and ruin their temper.

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hand digger which is like what you might use in a flower bed I just take to my bench grinder. When I get a decent edge on the front I may lightly bounce the rear over the wheel once to get rid of burrs.

I do own a short 3 ft. tall shovel that I haul around in my truck with me which I seldom use, but if it did accidentally ever need sharpening I also, as mentioned before, would take a file to it the same as my dad sharpened all his tools excluding a knife.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same way I sharpen an axe. Single cut mill ******* file.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
See. We just need a "foil checker" on our detectors to protect us from foil in the way spell checkers prevent us from using the proper English adjective describing a flat file with a coarseness of teeth single-cut between medium and second cut.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
See. We just need a "foil checker" on our detectors to protect us from foil in the way spell checkers prevent us from using the proper English adjective describing a flat file with a coarseness of teeth single-cut between medium and second cut.

Yep.
Pretty bad when a files pedigree gets censored!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread