Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I posted this here last year, but have yet to positively ID. We have some new members and I could get some new thoughts. It is silver and very THIN like a tag and the size of a quarter. Its hand engraved on the front in Old English copperplate script:

Jo-Ann L. Hall
12-30-43--1-2-44

There are some official looking numbers on the back: G-1506.

The back is also hand engraved. The numbers may coincide with a US military grave plot but what cemetery?... :dontknow: What century? :dontknow:

Plot G- Row 15- Grave 06? :dontknow:

Attachments

• MVC-003F.JPG
    MVC-003F.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 5,005
  • JoAnn L. Hall G-1506.jpg
    JoAnn L. Hall G-1506.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 2,733
  • MVC-003F.JPG
    MVC-003F.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 4,935
  • JoAnn L. Hall G-1506.jpg
    JoAnn L. Hall G-1506.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 2,735
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
rabajohn said:
I do not have much knowledge about this type of stuff but could the token script actually be: "To: Ann L. Hall" instead of "Jo-Ann L. Hall"? A love gift from someone to her? I can picture a sailor who only had 3 days with her and gave it to her for a momento before heading back out to sea.

rabajohn, I originally thought it said To:Ann LeKull. But after cleaning and closer exam it appears to say Jo-Ann L. Hall. There is a loop on the bottom of the first letter, no semi-colon, just a dash after Jo-. There is a period after L. I will consider it. I think the key to ID is the back letters G-1506.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I am computer illiterate. I wish I could post an enlargement. I have an old camera and I just insert the floppy. Maybe these are clearer. The numbers G-1506 are not stamped, they are engraved.

Attachments

• MVC-009E.JPG
    MVC-009E.JPG
    7 KB · Views: 3,649
  • MVC-010E.JPG
    MVC-010E.JPG
    6.1 KB · Views: 3,630
Upvote 0

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005
The only way to get a sharp enlargement is to use more pixels.

If you're using a digital camera, get as close as you can and still get sharp focus. (blurry pixels are useless) Use the macro setting if you have one. Use the highest resolution that the camera has; many have lower resolution settings to get more photos; you don't want this. You want the largest .jpg file size you can get. Crop as needed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
SomeGuy said:
The only way to get a sharp enlargement is to use more pixels.

If you're using a digital camera, get as close as you can and still get sharp focus. (blurry pixels are useless) Use the macro setting if you have one. Use the highest resolution that the camera has; many have lower resolution settings to get more photos; you don't want this. You want the largest .jpg file size you can get. Crop as needed.

I am able to zoom in and enlarge it for myself on the computer and I see details clear. But I can't seem to be able to save the enlargement and I don't know how to post it. :-[

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
SomeGuy said:
I was typing a PM when you posted this...

Do you normally reduce the image size before posting?

Yes, I had to. You misunderstand. The pics are clear enough to blow up. My camera has a good macro lens and uses a floppy that I insert in the floppy disc drive. I can enlarge, but I don't know how save and post so others can see. I need some computer classes, obviously.
Jeff, Cyn, ...somebody can blow up these numbers so others can see the engraving style.

Upvote 0

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey BiggyC.

Go to irfanview.com download the program its free. Open irfanview go to file hit open look for your pic(to do this you have to save the pics in my documents first) seloect your pics then go to image then hit resize then go back to file hit save as.

If you cant get it done we can meet in the chat and I will guide you or e-mail me.

Best,

Chagy......

Upvote 0

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005
Yes, it's just an image processing thing then. You have to do it on your end, before posting, since once the pixels are discarded they can't be recovered from the posted image.

Use the crop tool (if the program has one)to eliminate anything (like the background) that you don't need, then reduce the image just enough to get it under the 128 KB size limit, then save as Chagy described.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I have Arcsoft Photo Studio (came with my Canuscan). I am able to zoom in nice, but when I click "save as" it saves as the original (no zoom).
I will try irfanview.

You have to excuse me. I have never had computer lessons and am trying to learn on my own as needed by trial and error. ;D

Thanks.

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
I believe that it's probably a love-token type mourning badge. In the mid 19th century, it was sometimes the custom to have a small number of silver or gold memorial badges, pins, fobs, pendants, or rings prepared. These would have been worn (in this case, perhaps suspended from a black ribbon) by family members, and a few might also have been given to friends, pallbearers, etc.

BTW, although I don't believe there's an item like yours shown there, Things Gone By has an excellent online collection of antique mourning jewelry:

http://www.mourningjewelrymuseum.com/

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks Dig, I still see a loop on the bottom of the first letter.
I checked Vero Beach history where I found the tag at http://www.rootsweb.com/~flindian/timeline.htm. The US Army established a post at Fort Vinton in 1842. The first settlers arrived in Indian River with promise of land if they bear arms against the Indians. But the inhabitants of this county were driven from it on account of Indian hostilities, and few of them would return. By 1850, Ft. Vinton was abandoned. Was JoAnn L. Hall a child from this failed original Indian River colony? 1850 census- http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/fl/stlucie/census/1850/pg0222a.txt -shows about 45 settlers and children and 70 US Army soldiers. The fort was abandoned shortly after. This census lists a Michael Hall in the US Army. Could this be his wife or daughter? Could this be the same Hall who a couple years later was transfered to Fort Dallas (Miami), and killed the famous Seminole Indian Chief Chekika on an Everglades hammock?

Upvote 0
P

princesshermitcrab

60 miles E of the Pensacola airport.. I am not from Florida, so that's about as much as I can tell you. It sure looks like a nice place though. I tried to do some searches yesterday about all this but man...what a stumper.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
princesshermitcrab said:
60 miles E of the Pensacola airport.. I am not from Florida, so that's about as much as I can tell you. It sure looks like a nice place though. I tried to do some searches yesterday about all this but man...what a stumper.
Pensacola is no where near the Treasure Coast of East Florida. How old is the hotel?

Upvote 0
P

princesshermitcrab

Haven't a clue. They have a 800 number on the website through the link I posted up there. You could always call and find out :)
I think I'll go read a mystery book where the end is already written... much easier. :)

Upvote 0

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey BigC.

Maybe you can figure out the date by the font. Try blackadder ITC and Palace script MT in microsoft word.

Best,

Chagy.......

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread