What's new

Shell Mound Finds.

Lone Star

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2010
Messages
497
Reaction score
934
Golden Thread
0
Location
North of the Balcones Escarpment
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I'm sure I'm not the only one who will brave the skeeters, gators and snakes to crawl on your hands and knees, scraping thru coastal shell mounds.
Anybody else find this as part of your normal search pattern?
The past few days here in Texas it's been BRUTAL. Hotter than a cheap pistol, and muggier than breathing thru a wet sponge. I think I'm the only one alive around here anymore. I hadn't seen evidence of anyone else doing the same on my turf foryears. It's all good though, I don't have to share.
What have ya'll found?

Thanks, Lone Star
 

Attachments

  • flint on shell pedestal.webp
    flint on shell pedestal.webp
    103.4 KB · Views: 134
  • point on sandy matrix.webp
    point on sandy matrix.webp
    187.2 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0578.webp
    IMG_0578.webp
    171.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0166.webp
    IMG_0166.webp
    844.8 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0168.webp
    IMG_0168.webp
    1 MB · Views: 132
Upvote 0
Nice find. Looks like a Cuney. I have not hunted since last February.
Health issues. Will be going out in a few weeks to hunt on a ranch close to Encinal.
What part of Texas are you hunting in?
 
Hey Lone Star!! GORGEOUS POINTS!! Very Unique!! Thanks for sharing!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!
 
San Antone,
I'm south of Houston, in the Clear Lake area.
I like ranch walking and digging.
I'm waiting for "Digging Texas" to have another screen dig. That is the best fun, and you don't miss much.
Thanks, Lone Star
 
Those small points are incredible!!!! Thanks for sharing.
 
Those are cool finds and the area reminds me alot of Florida sites.
Not sure about legalities over there maybe you haven't seen anyone because of property owner issues.. "State mabey?"
 
GatorBoy,

The Florida Gulf Coast and the Texas Gulf Coast are pretty much the same for the most part. Having been to an FIT oceanography school for a few years, I did a lot of coastal cruising.
A buddie of mine went to the gulf side in Florida a few times to fish with his brothers, and he said there were ton's of rangia mounds along the water routs. I'll find out where they were for ya.
 
Shell Mound Finds
 

Attachments

  • drills and awls camino.webp
    drills and awls camino.webp
    28.7 KB · Views: 92
  • cambob1.webp
    cambob1.webp
    18.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 100_8288.webp
    100_8288.webp
    141.3 KB · Views: 96
I appreciate that and I know where most of them are and it's illegal to disturb them or any type of artifacts along the waterways now its all state land.
 
Last edited:
The F.I.T.( Florida Institute of Technology) main campus Building is an assisted living facility now.
The Mount Elizabeth mound is directly across the street from that.. They made an entire park around it called Indian Riverside Park
When they abolished the isolated finds Act in 2005 it made it illegal to pick up any of the artifacts eroded out of those mounds along the waterways..it's state land.
Picking them up is a misdemeanor digging any up is a felony.
Texas has the same laws just trying to give you a heads up
 
Last edited:
Gatorboy,
I had no idea about FIT. I hadn't been back to Florida since 1971. You sound familiar with the Melbourne area.
I actually lived at their anchorage on a boat. Their anchorage area was on the confluence of the Banana and Indian rivers, from the bridge to the mouth, on the inside bend. It was a cool multi house estate at the time.
Caught a lot of fish off those docks, including juvenile tarpon.

Yeah, we all have to obey the laws. I don't want to lose my collection for being a DUMB---.
Fortunataly my collecting endeavors are all on private land. Thanks for the info.
Lone Star
 
Very familiar with that area that was the Ais main village on the west bank by the confluence of the Banana.
Glad your on private property...It is good to know local law well
 
From this photo...all that shell debris is on state land.
Not trying to be a stick in the mud.. Just think it's important for people who view the thread and don't know... Since ignorance isn't a defense
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom