She’s sitting pretty on this quarter!

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spent a couple hours this past Sunday searching a former homesite in the woods. On about the second or third hole, I dug this nice 1857 Seated quarter. It first showed as a 21 VDI on the Equinox, maybe due to the rusty object that was originally near it. It showed a VDI of 29 once the plug cleared the hole, so I thought I had a clad quarter.. Once in my hand, I could only see the Eagle’s beak, but I knew I had something good. It was tough resisting the urge to rub the coin to see it better, sort of like not scratching a really itchy bug bite, but I think I managed. At home I confirmed it was a Seated coin, which I rarely find. Besides the coin, I found a Miraculous medal. While I do see these posted fairly often, this one is somewhat unique, as the prayer is in French; it looks old too. Also found a few buttons, perhaps from the 1820s or 1830s. Thanks for checking out my post. Happy hunting.
IMG_6103.jpeg
IMG_6105.jpeg
IMG_6102.jpeg IMG_6101.jpeg IMG_6097.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 51

vonfatman

Jul 21, 2023
KCMO Area
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang, that must have been fun! We have an old homesite on our farm. Deed says late 1830s.
My grandson is the only one who has ever asked to ck. it out....his metal detector is pretty much a toy.
He tried once is what he told me...just once.
It may have been detected long ago, but not that we know of since we purchased it. If it had been someone's honey hole, I expect we'd have been approached by now. We have had it at least 15 years. The main farm, we have had for 26 years with no askers. Old topos show at least one site that was unknown to us. Might be worth a try for someone.

Thanks for sharing your bounty! Very cool stuff. Love that quarter.

vfm

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dang, that must have been fun! We have an old homesite on our farm. Deed says late 1830s.
My grandson is the only one who has ever asked to ck. it out....his metal detector is pretty much a toy.
He tried once is what he told me...just once.
It may have been detected long ago, but not that we know of since we purchased it. If it had been someone's honey hole, I expect we'd have been approached by now. We have had it at least 15 years. The main farm, we have had for 26 years with no askers. Old topos show at least one site that was unknown to us. Might be worth a try for someone.

Thanks for sharing your bounty! Very cool stuff. Love that quarter.

vfm
Thank you. Sounds like you have a great property. I hope your grandson can find something nice there. Good luck!

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow nice find.

The picture makes almost look like its gold.
Thank you. I think the gold look was caused by the lighting and the backing paper. I wish it was gold😁! I swapped out the photos, which now show the true silver color. Thanks again.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Sweet sliver of silver. Grats and thanks for sharing. The dirty pic of the quarter is something I'd like to see in person, SOON!

HH ALL

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like you and your family have lots of potential to hunt your own lands for a long time to come!
I hunt a homesite in one of our fields periodically and it still gives up treasures after 20 years. I found an 1812 Tiffen halfpenny token there a couple of days ago. I walk 3 minutes from our house, hunt for just a little while and go back home within a short time. That's nice when I have a few minutes and the "itch".

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet sliver of silver. Grats and thanks for sharing. The dirty pic of the quarter is something I'd like to see in person, SOON!

HH ALL
Thank you and good luck!

detectorcowboy

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800, & Fisher CZ3D
Even if it been detected back in the day these new detectors are light year better than the old detectors.
I would be all over it.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go lenmac65! That is a absolutely fabulous recovery. Seated coins of any kind are quite a special find...but a seated quarter....priceless. You must have been quite jazzed when you saw it in the bottome of the hole!

mddavis3

May 13, 2019
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spent a couple hours this past Sunday searching a former homesite in the woods. On about the second or third hole, I dug this nice 1857 Seated quarter. It first showed as a 21 VDI on the Equinox, maybe due to the rusty object that was originally near it. It showed a VDI of 29 once the plug cleared the hole, so I thought I had a clad quarter.. Once in my hand, I could only see the Eagle’s beak, but I knew I had something good. It was tough resisting the urge to rub the coin to see it better, sort of like not scratching a really itchy bug bite, but I think I managed. At home I confirmed it was a Seated coin, which I rarely find. Besides the coin, I found a Miraculous medal. While I do see these posted fairly often, this one is somewhat unique, as the prayer is in French; it looks old too. Also found a few buttons, perhaps from the 1820s or 1830s. Thanks for checking out my post. Happy hunting. View attachment 2110325 View attachment 2110326 View attachment 2110327 View attachment 2110328 View attachment 2110329
Awesome coin!

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go lenmac65! That is an absolutely fabulous recovery. Seated coins of any kind are quite a special find...but a seated quarter....priceless. You must have been quite jazzed when you saw it in the bottome of the hole!
Thanks! I was excited and knew I had something good. This is my best silver of the year and my first Seated coin in almost two years. Good luck out there!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yet another amazing coin found in our great state! Congrats Lenmac, that is one sweet Seated quarter!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread