What's new

Shield pendent found in Pennsylvania

detectorFRED

Full Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2012
Messages
136
Reaction score
172
Golden Thread
0
Location
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Treasure Hunter 3300, Dousing Rods, Automatic Writing, The Outsiders (UCAs)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I found this small shield in Pennsylvania while metal detecting. Any clues to its orgin or value? Thanks! VZM.IMG_20150320_182716.webp
 
Upvote 12
NEEET FINE ...
 
It puts me in mind of the old Pa. Game Warden badges, but I'm sure they were nickel plated brass.
 
Value would most likely by $0 due to the condition...but no idea what it could have been. Furniture or horse brass?
 
Could it just be an old horse harness decoration thing? I forget it's name
 
Not sure what it is, but strikes me as being a military badge of some kind - commonly worn on a uniform epaulet. I hope you are able to get a good ID.
 
Maybe along these lines---$_35 hat.webp----fire mans hat
 
Is it all one piece?
What type of Metal is it or is it composed of 2 types of metal?

It may clean up better but it looks to be burnt or melted or it was in some Ruff ground.
GL on ID
 
Found something just like it a while back. Mine had some contact points on the reverse side which told me that it was a pin or saddle decor.
 
It feels cast
 
It's one piece. I believe it to be like a cast metal? No, it came out of soft ground. It's heavy for how small it is
 
Is it magnetic? A genuine shield wouldn't be. Might be a kid's Detective Shield from decades past.
 
Maybe electrolysis would bring out some details?
 
No it is not magnetic
 
I would try the hot peroxide thing.
 
I am voting watch fob
 
It almost looks like crossed cannons and a shield in the upper left. It looks military to me. Maybe Civil War
 
Maybe it looks something like this at one time
 

Attachments

  • 1465879650641.webp
    1465879650641.webp
    34.6 KB · Views: 107

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom