Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was a little surprised it was shipped in a regular semi with very little security, tells me this is probably how they always ship it, until now. What sized vehicle did they cart it off in, another semi?

Like others have said, you could put 4.8 million in gold in any vehicle. It weighs less than two average adult males.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With THAT MUCH VALUE BEING TRANSFERRED.... You PUKE in the vehicle and live with it. If I had 4+ million in my car traveling and you had to PUKE I'll be pissed later... but I'm NOT pulling over!!!! But if you lean my way I'm whip your ass WHILE I DRIVE!!!!

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Article said "275 lbs. gold in 5 5 gal. buckets". 55 lbs. a bucket. I've know guys that could pack 150 lbs. in each hand and walk a half block. Doubt 2 big guys would have trouble loading that in a van a few feet away. Story just don't sound right. Let the guy puke out the window, this truck ain't stoppin.

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like others have said, you could put 4.8 million in gold in any vehicle. It weighs less than two average adult males.

Another local news station reported the gold's weight at 275 lbs. The preferred method for carrying away stolen gold? A Humvee and Gucci suitcases.

top10warcomedies_2.jpg

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I don't understand is this, With the trucking industry carrying various commodities, ALL trucking companies have GPS's installed in all the trucks to know it's where abouts. That truck stopped, someone in dispatch was alerted. Also, don't know about this company, but when I was an owner-operator for several years, I hauled money from mints. Not only was my truck required to be equipped with GPS/ComDATA/QualCOM, they also put a GPS tracker mixed in with the load. If I stopped off at an unplanned stop for any reason, they called me immediately.

One time I had a blown steer tire and had to pull over on the side of the road and call for road service. By the time I dialed for road service dispatch called me and asked what was up. 10 minutes later, 2 unmarked cars pulled up, (who happen to be federal agents), to check on things. That is when I learned every load that goes out with anything from the Mint is not just tracked by GPS, but also Federal agents following you from start to finish by car/truck and aircraft all at the same time!

Someone on the inside knew that load and one or both of those drivers are in on it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was the gold the only thing this truck was carrying or was it a mixed cargo like reg carriers haul I wonder?

Ya if I was haul'n gold I would not be stopping for a puke party. He'd have to decorate the side of the truck.
Done that when stopping the car was not an option.

So if these two are not the smartest of thieves wonder how high the IQ is of the ones that now have the gold? Guess there's not much of a chance they buried it, darn!

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was the gold the only thing this truck was carrying or was it a mixed cargo like reg carriers haul I wonder?

Ya if I was haul'n gold I would not be stopping for a puke party. He'd have to decorate the side of the truck.
Done that when stopping the car was not an option.

So if these two are not the smartest of thieves wonder how high the IQ is of the ones that now have the gold? Guess there's not much of a chance they buried it, darn!

Based on what I've read I believe there was also about 4 million worth of silver on this truck too. That would weigh about 16,000 lbs. Not putting that in the trunk of a Mitsubishi. I'm not sure about other cargo but I would think this was probably a dedicated load.

In one account I read that the robbers tried to take the truck but apparently didn't know how to drive it. If true, then I have to wonder if the drivers were involved. It seems like it was an unsophisticated plan.

It was definitely an inside job, but it is possible (but unlikely) the drivers weren't involved. It may have been planned by the shipper or the receiver. If you know when a load is moving all you have to do is wait for an opportune moment to intercept it.

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a video camera mounted in my car...shows front and rear. Cost was a couple of hundred bucks. http://www.zetronix.com/Car-Cameras...t_info.html?osCsid=o13d4cd447k3s8hkhfnk0q4o80

If a company is transporting 9 million dollars in gold/silver, doesn't that justify a commercial quality security video camera system? Why are we stuck with sketches of the perps? Why didn't a security detail follow the truck?

This heist is a joke, and I wouldn't pay a penny if I was the insurance company.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Inside jobs happen all the time with securities.
Many years ago the transit authority used cargo vans other than the Medico locks on the doors on the doors they didn't look any different than a contractors van. I used to take a short cut through the Home dept.'s back lot to the brokers. I noticed a station wagon parked along the building of the brokers, and never thought too much about it other than it didn't belong there, I dumped the load I had and left.
On my return trip there was a white van parked in the HD lot and I kind of glanced at it as I went through the lot just in case it was going to move. On my return the station wagon was parked facing the van and a stone faced woman was sitting behind the wheel, she never looked over at the truck idling beside her car, she just stared straight at the van. I noticed some blankets laying over the back seats covering something up. I looked at the van and the side door was ajar a bit and I then noticed the lock systems even more. I was going to get out and ask if everything was ok but I was rushed and I had a bad feeling for some reason so I just geared it out of there like nothing was wrong.
When I got onto the road I called 911 and told them what I saw, got a snippy reply of why I believed anything was wrong? Well it's not everyday you see a white van parked in a back lot with high security lock systems with the doors open, think about it lady, I'm just saying. On the 8 mile trip home I saw lots of cops flying by heading in that direction and wondered if it was because of my call? Well on my third return trip I rolled up and looked like something out of a movie shoot, more cop cars than Kmart parking lot on Black Friday it seemed.

Basically the armed guards did a pick up, left the van running, doors unlocked, and while they were in the subway, somebody went for a joy ride and emptied the whole cargo, being their last stop almost it was a good load. I spent 6 hrs in a police station being interviewed many times over by different suits. I always wondered what the story would have been if I had gotten out, walked over to the car and asked if everything was good? I really believe I wouldn't be writing this today and sharing it, I kind of thanked the GA for another save.

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya there's an awful lot of unanswered questions on this one. No back up security, surveillance, GPS locator, nada on the semi. It is somebody that definitely knows what was in the truck and what route it took, an isolated place to stop and make the transfer. There probably was a look out too they wouldn't want anyone driving by when they were in the process, everybody has cell phones now days.

If the drivers are involved there has to be at lest one other partner to get the gold far enough out of there so it wouldn't be found. Is there a time frame when the truck was last seen and the time the call came in about it?
Our news media up here aren't too interested in covering the story.

Wow pepperj! Timing is everything! Good thing you didn't stop! It is weird when you see something a little odd and just know something's not right.
You being the helpful one get to answer questions for 6 hours! No good deed goes unpunished! Did they at lest give you a reward?

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The gold is now in a cave where the perpetrators are suspended in sleep chambers. The chambers are set to auto-open in fifty years allowing them access to their horde!
Problem is it won't be worth anything because of inflation! :laughing7:
Oh, wait! That was an episode of the "Twilight Zone"

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow pepperj! Timing is everything! Good thing you didn't stop! It is weird when you see something a little odd and just know something's not right.
You being the helpful one get to answer questions for 6 hours! No good deed goes unpunished! Did they at lest give you a reward?

The station wagon was long gone by the time they got there, so it was just a lot of questions. Forwards, backwards, from the middle going both ways to see if it all jived in what I saw. I got nothing except a bottle of water and a mild thank you.

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's probably melted down by now and distributed to several buyers.

A bottle of water and a thank you for your time and trouble. At lest they didn't give you a set of fancy bracelets and a free ride! I guess they only offer rewards when they have no info. I still wish the thieves buried it, make a neat treasure find years down the road. :laughing7:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The gold is now in a cave where the perpetrators are suspended in sleep chambers.

Maybe they headed East...!!!!!!! I'm going back and check my cave tomorrow. Anybody suspended in sleep chambers when I enter will not have to worry about "waking up". I'll keep ya posted...! Later, Me

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe they headed East...!!!!!!! I'm going back and check my cave tomorrow. Anybody suspended in sleep chambers when I enter will not have to worry about "waking up". I'll keep ya posted...! Later, Me

So very funny :laughing7:

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go for it Brad! You can plate all those horse shoes in gold and sell 'em!

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For sure they took it to one of the cash for gold places, you know that one that guarantees to pay the highest price ! LOL

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go for it Brad! You can plate all those horse shoes in gold and sell 'em!

Well I'd need every single ounce they stole and then some probably. Went out Sunday morning and found 4 more!!!!

These guys (guy) was an idiot. This shouldn't take long to solve. Now getting the gold back might be another matter altogether. Surely the guy who now has the gold is smarter then the guy who had the gold.

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's for sure the gold is probably gone and they're not going to recover it unless the investigators can find a paper trail, which in the "high payment" (lol) cash for gold places is non existent for obvious reasons.

The guy(s) who now hold the gold maybe were ticked off at the guy(s) who had the gold, disgruntled employee(s) maybe?

Well if any of us over hear a conversation in a local coffee shop about the robbery there is a $50,000 reward.
Do they ever really pay out those rewards? The cop who found Whitie was short shifted by a socialite from Sweden, and she got the reward so they say.

You certainly have cornered the horse shoe market, with a never ending supply!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread