Status
Not open for further replies.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What happened to the banner finds? Since we have the new system and don’t vote anymore the banners seem to have dried up. Last one posted was Aug. Has the bar been raised by the administrators? I think Creskols bronze McClennan campaign statue should have been a banner as an example. I’m a coin guy, and think all gold coins should be automatically banner. What about the 1921 Morgan just found days ago that is in mint state? A very popular coin with collectors and finding one in that condition in the ground is epic! Maybe I’m missing something on how the banner system works, but I feel there have been some notable finds that have have hit the mark and should be up top..

I agree. Creskol should have bannered with the bronze statue.

I understand that every “nice” item can’t be a banner or it would cheapen the significance of the top shelf items. Maybe my idea of banner is a little too broad. Interesting topic for pondering.

Yeah the system isnt super clear. I've been on here for over a year now and I only recently realized there was a banner "reaction." Until then i thought it was just if enough people comment "banner" then the mods put it up there. Still not sure what/if there is a threshold for making it.

I just assumed it was some number of "banner" reactions to the post.

The banner concept is broken. I rarely comment or vote on possible banner finds because it's too slanted. Gold coins and any Confederate relics always get a banner, while I've seen many GW buttons ignored. I'm sorry, but GW buttons are much harder to find than gold coins or Confederate relics.

Where is the thread that explain what the current rules are for a Banner Find?

Screenshot_20231026_111727_Samsung Internet.jpg
it's hard to find.....you have to hold your finger on the like button until the bar with all the Icons that ive screen shotted pops up......only then can you touch on the banner icon (which I circled in red) to vote.......i think thats what makes a vote ? Im not 100% sure ? But it makes sense, and thats how ive been trying to vote ??

Ok, here’s an example: MRS X posts a thread showing: 3 old buttons, a spoon, some pull tabs, a Matchbox car and a ring. I decide that one of the buttons is super-rare IMO. I click on the Medal icon, thinking banner.
I don’t expound on the glories of said button. What gets my banner vote? The spoon? The ring?
I’m not complaining, I just like to understand what I need to do.
Thanks.

Ok, here’s an example: MRS X posts a thread showing: 3 old buttons, a spoon, some pull tabs, a Matchbox car and a ring. I decide that one of the buttons is super-rare IMO. I click on the Medal icon, thinking banner.
I don’t expound on the glories of said button. What gets my banner vote? The spoon? The ring?
From the forum's point of view, it doesn't matter which item in the post is banner worthy. It's the post itself that gets upvoted.

From the forum's point of view, it doesn't matter which item in the post is banner worthy. It's the post itself that gets upvoted.
That’s like clapping while all Miss Universe contestants are on stage.
Which one was your choice? They all win. LOL I’ll just stay out of the banner voting. It’s not a life changer for me. Don’t sweat the little 💩; that’s my philosophy anymore. I hope folks who deserve banners get them. 👍🏼

The banner concept is broken. I rarely comment or vote on possible banner finds because it's too slanted. Gold coins and any Confederate relics always get a banner, while I've seen many GW buttons ignored. I'm sorry, but GW buttons are much harder to find than gold coins or Confederate relics.
My gold coin didn’t make it tho 🥺

Apparently I’m too new for now

Was this not explained before on a number of threads?
It takes 60+ likes even.
Doesn't have to be a banner symbol vote.
Then the pictures.
The post title.
The story.
The pumping
The :dontknow:what else that goes into a thread

EXAMPLE: SUPER! ONE OF A KIND, AMAZING, DROPPED TO THE KNEES KIND OF FIND!
Then say what the weather was, the machine, the nearby cow, include the Providence.

Then again some could post up and get it up on top.
Then some have top banner poster under their name.
2 up on top.
I really believe that the system needs to be refreshed as there is some top shelf coins that would be worth thousands, and have checked the boxes off and never got up there.
Newbies-and the length of time also matters.

My gold
My gold coin didn’t make it tho 🥺

Apparently I’m too new for now
Find must have been made after becoming a member, and brand new members don't qualify.

I’m not complaining, I just like to understand what I need to do.
Thanks.
What medal button are you talking about? "Like" on the opening post of thread with find is a banner vote.

Was this not explained before on a number of threads?
It takes 60+ likes even.
Doesn't have to be a banner symbol vote.
Then the pictures.
The post title.
The story.
The pumping
The :dontknow:what else that goes into a thread

EXAMPLE: SUPER! ONE OF A KIND, AMAZING, DROPPED TO THE KNEES KIND OF FIND!
Then say what the weather was, the machine, the nearby cow, include the Providence.

Then again some could post up and get it up on top.
Then some have top banner poster under their name.
2 up on top.
I really believe that the system needs to be refreshed as there is some top shelf coins that would be worth thousands, and have checked the boxes off and never got up there.
Newbies-and the length of time also matters.
As Pepper said, there are multiple requirements in making banner, including votes, rarity, the story posted, good pictures, must be found after joining TNet, brand new members don't qualify.

Campaigning for a banner by finder does NOT help.

It usually takes weeks to make banner even if it meets all qualifications. If a simular find is on banner recently it takes longer for it to make banner if it qualifies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back