SHIPWRECK BEACH FINDS- 1771 King George III, Mystery Coin, and more...

JB Hunts

Dec 21, 2023
It was a great day hunting at one of my favorite shipwreck barrier island beach spots in a very low minus tide which yielded an extremely stripped beach down to near hard shell status, feeturing plenty of black sand.

I found a lot of great coins, but the Brits ruled the day as the best finds... I pulled a fantastic shipwreck King George III Copper from 177x (looks like a 1, but coin is worn down). I also pulled what looked to be a very worn down wheatie, but the middle doesn't fit the design. . Can anyone take a shot at what it could be?

I aso dug a 1965 pure silver QE II Canadian 25c coin with a really "cool" Wintry Deer image on the reverse.

The best ship spike that I pulled looks like it's attached to a pc of wood (I need to lightly chip away at this encrustation tomorrow to see about the age and origin).

A few Wheaties and a few pre-64 silvers rounded it out...

Happy hunting....JB

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240209_173657_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240209_173657_Gallery.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 171
  • Screenshot_20240209_225508_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240209_225508_Chrome.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 96
  • Screenshot_20240209_225844_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240209_225844_Gallery.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot_20240209_222653_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240209_222653_Gallery.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Screenshot_20240209_225034_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20240209_225034_Messages.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 20240209_140753.jpg
    20240209_140753.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 100
  • 20240210_070710.jpg
    20240210_070710.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Upvote 28
Nice going on old copper.
How far do have to drive along the shoreline?
Why do you ask? Do you hunt beaches, or inland?
I hunt a few barrier islands off New Jersey. They all are between 3-9 miles long, so I don't need to drive or walk too far to hunt my favorite shipwreck spots. There are over 5,000 shipwrecks off the Coast of NJ, with many of the best ships with bounty coming to and from the NY trading hub back in Colonial times... HH!

Why do you ask? Do you hunt beaches, or inland?
I hunt a few barrier islands off New Jersey. They all are between 3-9 miles long, so I don't need to drive or walk too far to hunt my favorite shipwreck spots. There are over 5,000 shipwrecks off the Coast of NJ, with many of the best ships with bounty coming to and from the NY trading hub back in Colonial times... HH!
In your photo I just saw the tire tracks, and was wondering if you had to drive a long ways along the shoreline to get to the actual hunting site. That's all-nothing more nothing less.

To answer your query: Land
Even though the province of Ontario has more than 250,000 lakes.
I can look out my window, and there's water, actually there's a 20'×100' wreck laying in 12ft of water just off my dock.
Just bought a new scoop, so this is the plan for 2024 is to get wet.

Fantastic finds. It's always amazed me about all the shipwrecks and things found out in the ocean. Have you ever been to the ship wreck museum up the road from from "coin beach" in Delaware? The museum is actually on the 2nd floor of a gift shop in Fenwick Island. It's amzing if you ever get a chance to go see it.
Thanks for the post, :icon_thumright:
MM

Fantastic finds. It's always amazed me about all the shipwrecks and things found out in the ocean. Have you ever been to the ship wreck museum up the road from from "coin beach" in Delaware? The museum is actually on the 2nd floor of a gift shop in Fenwick Island. It's amzing if you ever get a chance to go see it.
Thanks for the post, :icon_thumright:
MM
Thank you!

I've driven by Coin Beach quite a few time on my way to Fenwick/O.C. but I've not been to the shipwreck museum, but it's definitely on my list!!

Coin Beach has been hunted out so much that I don't know anyone who has found anything there in quite awhile. The days of finding Reales are there probably over....

In your photo I just saw the tire tracks, and was wondering if you had to drive a long ways along the shoreline to get to the actual hunting site. That's all-nothing more nothing less.

To answer your query: Land
Even though the province of Ontario has more than 250,000 lakes.
I can look out my window, and there's water, actually there's a 20'×100' wreck laying in 12ft of water just off my dock.
Just bought a new scoop, so this is the plan for 2024 is to get wet.
Get that scoop wet!! I'm sure that you can uncover some old maps and see where these ships went down to find some great relics!! HH. JB

Wonder why the 2 attempted holes, a whizzer in the making?
We had silver right up to 1968 which some were a 50/50 split.
I love finding these mid 20th C Canadian QE2's. They have very unique and imaginative designs on the reverse!! HH

I'd love to have the opportunity that you have, with the islands and beaches! BTW, the Canadian deer is a reindeer or caribou. They indeed do well in the winter!
Thank you! I do love to read other's posts on old land finds too. It really ties the history together either way. Tks also for the correction from deer to Caribou! Us Yankees have so many deer everywhere, especially in the Northeast that I just think that anything with antlers is a deer. I've unfortunately hit four of them on the road. There are way too many in my area! HH . JB

Last edited:
It was a great day hunting at one of my favorite shipwreck barrier island beach spots in a very low minus tide which yielded an extremely stripped beach down to near hard shell status, feeturing plenty of black sand.

I found a lot of great coins, but the Brits ruled the day as the best finds... I pulled a fantastic shipwreck King George III Copper from 177x (looks like a 1, but coin is worn down). I also pulled what looked to be a very worn down wheatie, but the middle doesn't fit the design. . Can anyone take a shot at what it could be?

I aso dug a 1965 pure silver QE II Canadian 25c coin with a really "cool" Wintry Deer image on the reverse.

The best ship spike that I pulled looks like it's attached to a pc of wood (I need to lightly chip away at this encrustation tomorrow to see about the age and origin).

Happy hunting....JB
Well done JB! Great finds!

Nice going Someone will probably id it

Happy hunting....JB
Keep the wood.

Happy hunting....JB
Congrats!
You have a corroded and corroded coin. One that suggests you don't hardly touch it.
Makes it hint of an Indian head cent to me.

Compare the wreathing on the obverse to your raised area that hints of wheat heads to you. Maybe?
475px-NNC-US-1859-1C-Indian_Head_Cent_%28wreath%29.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back