Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out for an hour and a half after work last night. I hit mowed areas as far away from the farm house as possible since the lawn looked so nice.
I probably dug 200 holes around this place this past winter/spring, but must have done a great job restoring my holes :laughing7:

Anyway, I dug this 1939 Radio Orphan Annie decoder which appears to be in pretty nice condition, but I'm not sure that it is fully intact. Looks like it might have had a back plate? Any info on these is appreciated as I am mainly a colonial / early American digger.

Decoder Front.jpg Decoder Back.jpg

I also dug a large cent. As usual, I went from the euphoria of seeing it in the dirt, to the despair of realizing it was toast :dontknow:

LC Dirt.jpg 5-8-19 All.jpg

The reins guide rounded out my finds. Thanks for any looks, likes, and comments

UPDATE: Further research has answered my question. The Decoder Pin is only missing the steel pin that must have rusted away. I'll have to clean it better and see what my "Official Number" is :laughing7: :laughing7:
1939-roa-radio-orphan-annie-secret_1_7d1f5212f8370f3dba3c7775703a4e0b.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 25

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also dug a large cent. As usual, I went from the euphoria of seeing it in the dirt, to the despair of realizing it was toast
That says it perfectly. I don't have a lot of great permissions, so I have only dug about six or seven large coppers, most of which were slick. It is such a crash and letdown when they're blank. Looks like you have a history of great finds to make up for it though. Good luck. Hope your next copper has a solid strike remaining.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That says it perfectly. I don't have a lot of great permissions, so I have only dug about six or seven large coppers, most of which were slick. It is such a crash and letdown when they're blank. Looks like you have a history of great finds to make up for it though. Good luck. Hope your next copper has a solid strike remaining.
Thanks and I hope you get into some good dirt that preserves your next copper. Out of the six large coppers (counting a half cent) that I have dug this year, only one has been well preserved and that was the oldest one, a 1740s KG II :dontknow:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a productive short hunt. I keep seeing coppers posted in amazing condition, not so much around here. I think they come out much nicer in sandy soil. Congrats

wpsgta1000

Jul 17, 2013
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found one in identical condition years ago in Georgia. Mine was 1939 also. Cool find on your part.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That decoder is awesome. You get it turning.
Haven't decided whether to try to get it loosened up and turning. Looks like it's pretty solid, but don't want to risk breaking something.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the decoder and all your finds I need a hunt like that soon keep rippin

wpsgta1000

Jul 17, 2013
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The “secret” message after the show was something along the line of “drink your Ovaltine”.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The “secret” message after the show was something along the line of “drink your Ovaltine”.
Thanks. Actually that is what they said in "A Christmas Story" but in reality the messages were about the next episode. I checked into this.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I thought about the Ovaltine too.

Congrats Steve on the cool and memorable find!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love the 1939 Radio Orphan Annie decoder Steve, I've never seen one of those before.
Don't you just hate finding an LC, only to realize that time has stolen the details. :BangHead:

Dave

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the 1939 Radio Orphan Annie decoder Steve, I've never seen one of those before.
Don't you just hate finding an LC, only to realize that time has stolen the details. :BangHead:

Dave
I was aware of these decoders and dug a broken one in an ex girlfriend's yard years ago. But I wasn't sure what it was at first. Yes I have been disappointed by large cents far too many times as well. A few sites have produced nice ones, but most of the ones around here are eaten up pretty bad.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Steve, if I’m not mistaken, you are entitled to “ honors and benefits” with that decoder. You should jump on that for sure

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve, if I’m not mistaken, you are entitled to “ honors and benefits” with that decoder. You should jump on that for sure
LOL I'll have to look into that :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions