What's new

Short and SWEET with some Pt

Bobbypins

Hero Member
Joined
May 31, 2008
Messages
503
Reaction score
134
Golden Thread
0
Location
Okinawa, Japan
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My son and I decided to head out to the honey hole tonight. Looking at the tide charts, I see that the low tide is at 3am and make a call to Jason to see if he wanted to tag along. Since he'll be leaving the country soon and won't be able to do any detecting for a couple of months, he opted to go.

We arrive a little past 1am and find Jason already there hunting. My son and I work our way into the water and navigate towards the back of the jellyfish net to start hunting. My hope is that Kendall (mys one) starts to get the hang on this detecting thing. He's still actively interested in it, even though he's not finding a load of cash... but I'm sure it's just going to take a little more practice. He's a trooper though, and I'm confident he'll get his due one of these days.

After being in the water a while, I notice some people gathering at the shoreline. Flashlights beaming our way clued me in that they wanted to talk to us, so i navigated my way to the shore to see what was going on. I guess 3 Americans detecting in a swimming area attracted more attention than we normally do on most nights. But after overcoming the language barrier with a game of charades and a short demonstration, I was back in the water heading back to the area I was working on.

I come across one of those 'iffy' singnals. You known the kind... broken, crackly, kinda solid, but definitely NOT something that is 100% good. Hell, I came to the beach at 1am to dig targets, and that's what I'm going to do.

After shaking the sand from the scoop, I see a nice small silver band. No complaints there, but it occured to me that this one came from DEEP down, and it appears that it was lost yesterday.... no corrosion or growth at all. Unfortunately, the band is too small for me to read anything, so it's going to have to wait until we get home.

Looking back at the shoreline, I see even MORE people gathering... and even more flashlights going. I decide at that point that on THIS particular night, it's not worth the headache to keep trying to detect. We're just attracting too much attention, and my hope is that on another night we won't have to worry about people traffic.

So we climb out of the water to find 2 different security guards from the hotel across the street asking the same questions as the first 2 did. Another game of charades, some broken english and demonstration of the workings on the Excal, and I think he too was satisfied. I informed him that there was a strong possibility that we would be back there the following night, so my hope is that we won't run into him since he'll automatically know who it is and what we're doing.

So here's the take for the short nights hunt:

1,071 Yen -- $13.90
.30 cents
and one small ring that turned out to be 3.5 grams of Pt 950 Made by Tiffany and Co.

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look. I hope your hunts are filled with great finds too

Zanpa001-3.jpg

Zanpa004-2.jpg

Zanpa005-2.jpg
 
Upvote 0
:icon_thumleft: cool ring !!! sounds like people are still very much on the edge from all of the disaster's beee safe

HH :icon_pirat:
 
Enjoyable post, Bobbypins

Very nice ring find! I haven't found one of those yet...it's on my "list"

Lorraine
 
Sweet tiffany ring!! congrats
 
Thanks! I'm hoping that we can keep up with you guys back home. I can't seem to find much of the yellow stuff over here... least of which with some diamonds. But the up side is that we do tend to find a bit more Pt than ya'll back home. Fair trade I guess :D
 
That is a very nice ring Bobbypins! Too bad you had to deal with all the people wondering what you were doing.

Jim
 
Nice little piece right there! I'm sure you are already aware that when you find a band like that it's possible it was a set and you should double check the immediate area pretty good in case the other one came off at the same time.

Took me awhile to figure that out. I always'd checked the area around a coin find and usually found one or more extra. But it never dawned on me to hunt for the pendant that was on the chain I found or the chain that held the pendant I found until I got home. Then it was like "DUH". Then I got to thinking about the women's wedding rings I found... Crap! There could be a second or third ring to the set.

Regardless great find.
 
Any PT band is sweet. Tiffany & Co. is a little sweeter.

Thanks for sharing, and braving the 3pm low tides.
 
Tiffany and Co has that ring on their website for $1,000, not many people get if for free, haha, Congrats!
 
kleinerschmitter said:
Tiffany and Co has that ring on their website for $1,000, not many people get if for free, haha, Congrats!

No doubt. I likes me some FREE. Just got to put the coil over it.

ARA doesn't care about the maker, and neither do I. It's all scrap metal to me ;D
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom