What's new

Short Colonial hunt yeilds goodies: Cut spanish silver Counterfeit or cooked?

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2009
Messages
1,558
Reaction score
311
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found these items today I not sure about this clipped what appears to have been a 4 reale looks fake to me
You can see the edge pattern on the coin so it was/is a reale what do you guys think?
ALso I need Id on the other items
and a Trigh Gilt london Flat button :headbang:
 

Attachments

  • P1060501.webp
    P1060501.webp
    21.3 KB · Views: 897
  • P1060502.webp
    P1060502.webp
    24.6 KB · Views: 886
  • P1060503.webp
    P1060503.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 865
  • P1060504.webp
    P1060504.webp
    27 KB · Views: 863
  • P1060505.webp
    P1060505.webp
    21 KB · Views: 866
  • P1060506.webp
    P1060506.webp
    20 KB · Views: 859
  • P1060507.webp
    P1060507.webp
    21.1 KB · Views: 868
Upvote 0
Your last two pics seem to be off a muzzle loading pistol. The brass object was the front most piece attached to the stock of the pistol but below the barrel. The small round notch was for the ramrod.

Cool finds!!

Keep Digging,
Sneaky6
 
sneaky6 said:
Your last two pics seem to be off a muzzle loading pistol. The brass object was the front most piece attached to the stock of the pistol but below the barrel. The small round notch was for the ramrod.

Cool finds!!

Keep Digging,
Sneaky6

Cool thanks
 
Re: I agree with you James

Bill D. (VA) said:
jamesbibb said:
I found these items today I not sure about this clipped what appears to have been a 4 reale looks fake to me
You can see the edge pattern on the coin so it was/is a reale what do you guys think?
ALso I need Id on the other items
and a Trigh Gilt london Flat button :headbang:

I'm pretty sure that is a fake, but first let me ask how it was reading on your machine. I've dug 2 or 3 fake colonial silver coins, and they all came in real low and were likely made of pewter. What seems to be the compelling evidence for me is the side view of the coin. It appears to be "layered", which is a look I've seen before on counterfeits (including coppers). Even if its not real, don't be concerned as that makes it an even more unique find in my opinion. Congrats on an interesting find ..... Bill

That was an initial concern of mine too Bill- the peice rings in at 81-82 solid on my dfx-sweet sound of silver!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom