What's new

Short Colonial hunt yeilds goodies: Cut spanish silver Counterfeit or cooked?

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2009
Messages
1,558
Reaction score
311
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found these items today I not sure about this clipped what appears to have been a 4 reale looks fake to me
You can see the edge pattern on the coin so it was/is a reale what do you guys think?
ALso I need Id on the other items
and a Trigh Gilt london Flat button :headbang:
 

Attachments

  • P1060501.webp
    P1060501.webp
    21.3 KB · Views: 897
  • P1060502.webp
    P1060502.webp
    24.6 KB · Views: 886
  • P1060503.webp
    P1060503.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 865
  • P1060504.webp
    P1060504.webp
    27 KB · Views: 863
  • P1060507.webp
    P1060507.webp
    21.1 KB · Views: 868
  • P1060506.webp
    P1060506.webp
    20 KB · Views: 859
  • P1060505.webp
    P1060505.webp
    21 KB · Views: 866
Upvote 0
coin looks legit from here, just burnt.. nice start to 2011 James :thumbsup:
 
umrgolf said:
coin looks legit from here, just burnt.. nice start to 2011 James :thumbsup:

sounds right on the machine just funky looking for sure Thanks Jeff :notworthy:
 
I dug a genuine 8 reale that looks like that so I'm thinking cooked.
 
Sure does look like it took a fire bath at some point but I would vote real. Nice finds.

NJ
 
Iron Patch said:
I dug a genuine 8 reale that looks like that so I'm thinking cooked.

Sweet Thanks IP!!
 
N.J.THer said:
Sure does look like it took a fire bath at some point but I would vote real. Nice finds.

NJ

Yeah this one got nice and hot! Yhanks HH
 
jamesbibb said:
Iron Patch said:
I dug a genuine 8 reale that looks like that so I'm thinking cooked.

Sweet Thanks IP!!


Say hello to my little friend.
 

Attachments

  • 1a.webp
    1a.webp
    50.1 KB · Views: 776
  • 1a.webp
    1a.webp
    50.1 KB · Views: 777
Iron Patch said:
jamesbibb said:
Iron Patch said:
I dug a genuine 8 reale that looks like that so I'm thinking cooked.

Sweet Thanks IP!!


Say hello to my little friend.



LOL hey 8 reales dont surface to much take it as you get it right?
Im stoked for finding early silver this early in the year
 
jamesbibb said:
Iron Patch said:
jamesbibb said:
Iron Patch said:
I dug a genuine 8 reale that looks like that so I'm thinking cooked.

Sweet Thanks IP!!


Say hello to my little friend.



LOL hey 8 reales dont surface to much take it as you get it right?
Im stoked for finding early silver this early in the year


The other side is better, and does show the date (1777) and even to this day I'm happy with it. When I dug it, it was shortly after having a conversation about them and how great it would be to find one... but that was just a dream like all the other stuff you never expect to dig. It was fun walking over and making my friend guess what I had in my hand (think it took him 3 tries) and as bad as the condition is I checked my pocket every 5 minutes for the rest of the day to make sure it was still there! ;D I think it was just my 2nd old silver coin, the first being a dark 1812 sixpense found on a salt water beach. So yes, I do take what I get, and always have, because you can't control what comes out of the ground. My hunting bud Ironhorse is not too far away from 20 years detecting and he is still waiting for one.
 
Definitely Cooked James, just like that half-reale I found in the link above. Congrats on your first Spanish of the season! :occasion14:
 
{Sentinel} said:
Definitely Cooked James, just like that half-reale I found in the link above. Congrats on your first Spanish of the season! :occasion14:

Thanks Bro
 
Iron Patch said:
jamesbibb said:
Iron Patch said:
jamesbibb said:
Iron Patch said:
I dug a genuine 8 reale that looks like that so I'm thinking cooked.

Sweet Thanks IP!!
Yes sir an 8 would be a sweet dig for sure

Say hello to my little friend.



LOL hey 8 reales dont surface to much take it as you get it right?
Im stoked for finding early silver this early in the year


The other side is better, and does show the date (1777) and even to this day I'm happy with it. When I dug it, it was shortly after having a conversation about them and how great it would be to find one... but that was just a dream like all the other stuff you never expect to dig. It was fun walking over and making my friend guess what I had in my hand (think it took him 3 tries) and as bad as the condition is I checked my pocket every 5 minutes for the rest of the day to make sure it was still there! ;D I think it was just my 2nd old silver coin, the first being a dark 1812 sixpense found on a salt water beach. So yes, I do take what I get, and always have, because you can't control what comes out of the ground. My hunting bud Ironhorse is not too far away from 20 years detecting and he is still waiting for one.
 
Congrats on your first Silver James~ :headbang:

I was thinking maybe that bras object was part of a buckle, but after filling it in, it doesn't look right.
 

Attachments

  • P1060504.webp
    P1060504.webp
    26.9 KB · Views: 516
Woodland Detectors 4-H said:
Congrats on your first Silver James~ :headbang:

I was thinking maybe that bras object was part of a buckle, but after filling it in, it doesn't look right.
Agreed I thought it may be a half of another sheid type decoration i havefound tons lately!
 
I agree with you James

jamesbibb said:
I found these items today I not sure about this clipped what appears to have been a 4 reale looks fake to me
You can see the edge pattern on the coin so it was/is a reale what do you guys think?
ALso I need Id on the other items
and a Trigh Gilt london Flat button :headbang:

I'm pretty sure that is a fake, but first let me ask how it was reading on your machine. I've dug 2 or 3 fake colonial silver coins, and they all came in real low and were likely made of pewter. What seems to be the compelling evidence for me is the side view of the coin. It appears to be "layered", which is a look I've seen before on counterfeits (including coppers). Even if its not real, don't be concerned as that makes it an even more unique find in my opinion. Congrats on an interesting find ..... Bill
 
Re: I agree with you James

Bill D. (VA) said:
jamesbibb said:
I found these items today I not sure about this clipped what appears to have been a 4 reale looks fake to me
You can see the edge pattern on the coin so it was/is a reale what do you guys think?
ALso I need Id on the other items
and a Trigh Gilt london Flat button :headbang:

I'm pretty sure that is a fake, but first let me ask how it was reading on your machine. I've dug 2 or 3 fake colonial silver coins, and they all came in real low and were likely made of pewter. What seems to be the compelling evidence for me is the side view of the coin. It appears to be "layered", which is a look I've seen before on counterfeits (including coppers). Even if its not real, don't be concerned as that makes it an even more unique find in my opinion. Congrats on an interesting find ..... Bill


jamesbibb said:
umrgolf said:
coin looks legit from here, just burnt.. nice start to 2011 James :thumbsup:

sounds right on the machine just funky looking for sure Thanks Jeff :notworthy:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom