short hunt today produces small silver heart

coiny

Jan 3, 2010
Houston, TX
I was really craving a hunt so after work today I went to a park a few blocks away that is large and one of the city's oldest. I am quite sure that back in the 80s or something other MDers cleaned it out of old coinage but it almost always gives up other goodies to me. And, I just know that one day it will give me an old coin. So, today I hit an area that I have never before.

I read a few years ago on this forum someone giving the advice to go over areas that you wouldn't normally go over, places you might not suspect people to have dropped things in. I have been trying things like that lately and it has been paying off.

So, about 15 minutes into my 30 minute hunt I found a small, flat silver heart pendant. It was about 2-3 inches down. It is not stamped but I am quite certain that it is silver. I've read about people doing acid tests to find out metals. Is that the best way to test unknown metals?

The area I was searching was kind of out of the way and off the beaten trail but there was a big old oak tree, probably about 80 years old so I made my way toward it. About 4 feet away is where I found the pendant. I love those oak trees but what type of tree do I have to look under to find gold?:laughing7:

I also found 5 clad dimes and one Lincoln memorial penny that had felt the wrath of the lawn mower at least twice. Oh, I also found a PetSmart dog tag some pooch named "Ella" dropped.

Attachments

• heart.JPG
    heart.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 143
Upvote 3

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find. I have a silver acid test but it must be crappy because even when I test a known silver thing, like a pre-64 coin or a .999 silver bar, it doesn't register as silver. So you may want to try a jewelry shop and see if they'll test it for you. A lot of the folks in those shops are nice and happy to help.

Keep at it and happy hunting!

NW Digger

Oct 14, 2012
Mason, Ohio (moved from wa)
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, White's XLT, GTI 2500, Ace 250, Titan 2000xd, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find. I have a silver acid test but it must be crappy because even when I test a known silver thing, like a pre-64 coin or a .999 silver bar, it doesn't register as silver. So you may want to try a jewelry shop and see if they'll test it for you. A lot of the folks in those shops are nice and happy to help.

Keep at it and happy hunting!

Hmmm, my silver test kit works like a charm... Maybe try a different kind of kit/brand?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread