What's new

Short roadtrip with good results and a first

Fropa

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
511
Reaction score
29
Golden Thread
0
Location
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I was picking up 3 boxes today so I had to dump my cents, dimes, and quarters yesterday. A branch of the Credit Union I work for got a new coin counting machine so I decided to head that way rather than my regular dump bank.

First stop was 6 miles away. A small branch of a bank I opened an account at for CHRing. I dumped the dimes and asked about halves in their machine. They only had $120 and can't sell until they fill the bag at $500 so I'll wait a while until I fill the bag and buy it.

Next bank was across the street and is a branch of the bank I get my weekly box from. Teller says the just sold all the halves to a business. I'm not sure what business wants halves but none for me.

Last bank in this town had 1 roll in the vault and $4 loose - Skunk.

8 Miles to the Credit Union. I walked in with my coin and said I was here to check out the new counting machine. They took me back and let me run my own coins through. Much faster than the machine we have. No reject bin, just a magnet to catch the foreign stuff. I asked about halves and they had $491 in the machine, so I bought them. Not a bad bag: 1 1942 Walker, 1 1962 Franklin, 3 1967, 4 1968-D, 1 1969-D, 1 1986-S Proof, 1 1983-P stamped 1960-1980, 1 2005-P, 3 2007-D, 1 1996 Canadian 2 dollar, 1998 and 2004 10 Peso Mexican coins, and a plastic bar token.

21JAN09_CU_Bag_Total.jpg


Next was a small branch bank that had 3 rolls - Skunk

Last stop was a bank I check about 4 times a year. They always have halves and I usually find at least some silver. They had $280 in a wide variety of roll papers. My wife saw a roll with silver on the end and opened that one first, she opened it and said "Wow, look at this"

21JAN09_Roll_1.jpg


12 silver, I think that is the most we've found in a single roll.

Here is the next roll she opened

21JAN09_Roll_2.jpg


Our first full roll of silver in about 2 1/2 years of searching. I found one more silver but the rest of the rolls were skunks.

Total from the rolls: 1 1965, 7 1966, 13 1967, 7 1968-D, and 5 1969-D.

21JAN09_BoM_Total.jpg


Not a bad haul for a 28 mile round trip.
 
Upvote 0
Love SILVER!!!!!!!! I have not had a solid roll yet.Great job!
 
WOW, nice short road trip. I wish they were all like that, lol
 
Congrats, It must be great to find a full roll.

I am happy with finding 1 40% once in a while. I have not been that lucky.

maybe is because I just go to ask for halves at one Big Bank

Darth Walker
 
Great road trip, congrats!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Congrats on all that silver and your first solid roll! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

HH
 
Excellent road trip, great results!!!! Congratulations :thumbsup:
 
Thanks everybody. I like road trips much better than boxes. My 3 boxes this week only produced 1 1964-D and 1 1968-D.
 
Congrats!
Looks like you're finally finding some 07's :wink:
 
Congrats Fropa nice score especially on that solid roll ( I still havent found one yet) and a nice pile of keepers , Ed
 
Thanks. TXTim - I have found a few P and D 2007s, but they get returned to the wild since a nice guy hooked me up. Thanks again for that.
 
The 2 rolls in the photo with all the siver look like Machine rolls. Do the machine rolls in your area always look like those or do you believe like me that they might be machine rolls that someone has been hanging on to for the last 30+ years.?

What do you think?

Mojo
 
Thanks everybody.

coinmojo - I've been getting these type of rolls from this bank over the last 2 1/2 years. The ends are more loosely rolled than the rolls from boxes I get from the FED (Armored Car Company). They always sell me all the halves they have (As far as I know), so I don't think they have been there for a long time. My theory has been that they have an in house rolling machine that they use to roll coin they take in. Now that you asked I'll have to ask them next time I go in and get some of these rolls.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom