Shoshone/Tecopa California Opal

Wutdahay

Jul 13, 2006
Pahrump, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In years past, I've been to and I've hunted a spot in the mud hills on the South-Eastern edge of Death Valley between Shoshone & Tecopa, California for Opal. The collecting area is located in the "Gem Trails of California" book. The opal that I found is very small and very brittle. My question for anyone out there is have you or anyone you know found any opal that is firey and large at this location? I sure would like to know if it is worth another trip or not. Thanks!

Alirose1

Jul 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I frequent the Delight's Hot Springs and spend mornings rock hunting in and around the surrounding mud hills, nearby mountains and mines. In the mud hills at various locations I've found beautiful precious opal in small pieces, yes some is brittle but brilliant. I also spend hours looking for Geodes, Chalcedony, Fiery Agate or other materials . Because I "rock hunt" with my dogs the week of July 4th was our last visit there until October again when the oven like 119 temperatures subside. I'll continue to go back to the Tecopa area looking for that big Opal find but I'm also a photographer and the scenery is quite spectacular when I'm not rock hunting. Good Luck and keep on searching!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread