What's new

shotgun casing ID, smashed penny maybe??

RJH02

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2007
Messages
438
Reaction score
9
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Silver umax w/ 7in Deep Search Wide scan coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi, Today Relichunters and I hunted close to our local Civil War skirmish site, after the skirmish the Union army marched down an old road so they could burn the covered bridge and the mill next to it. About 100 yds or so from the old road I found this smashed penny looking thing(which it may be)its very thin and I can kinda see a horsehead on it but I dont know. I also found a few UMC shotgun shells and then this one with US and DEFIANCE on it, any ideas on them? Thanks for looking.
 

Attachments

  • PICT0002.webp
    PICT0002.webp
    69 KB · Views: 608
  • PICT0001.webp
    PICT0001.webp
    65 KB · Views: 295
  • PICT0003.webp
    PICT0003.webp
    67.5 KB · Views: 269
  • PICT0010.webp
    PICT0010.webp
    34.3 KB · Views: 273
  • PICT0011.webp
    PICT0011.webp
    38.7 KB · Views: 272
The casing is from the US cartridge co and dates between 1864-1938.
 
Upvote 0
Reminds me of one of the pennies after we put them on railroad tracks as kids, they sometimes got that oblong shape.
 
Upvote 0
I think it definately is a RR smasehd coin. Kids who live near a RR track often put them on the track with the same results. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Agree on the RR track coin :icon_thumright:
 

Attachments

  • Flats.webp
    Flats.webp
    14.5 KB · Views: 366
  • Flats.webp
    Flats.webp
    14.5 KB · Views: 219
Upvote 0
I agree with the RR penny. It must have fallen out of somebodys pocket at some time as there isnt a RR anywhere near where it was found, at least not in the recent past. Thanks
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom