SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks,

First posting on treasure net. I've been reading many of the posts to get ideas on recycling metals and I've gotten some great ideas from many of the posts. My questions are about shotgun shell brass. I have access to lots of it. I can easily fill quite a few 5 gallon buckets with shells by the end of the hunting season here and can easily get my hands on more if necessary. How much does brass go for?
Do I need to remove the plastic hulls? If so is there an easy way to remove them?

Thanks in advance!

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor
You will likely get more out of them by selling the to someone who reloads. Call around to some of the gun shops and tack stores and find people who reload. Shell casings of any kind catch a premium these days just check ebay:-)

-K

OP
OP
SnakemanBill

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply. I looked on Ebay searched under shotgun shells, shotgun hulls and didn't get a single hit. I'm here on the eastern shore of Maryland which is a huge waterfowl hunting mecca and I'm in sporting goods stores quite a bit and there just aren't that many people reloading shells here especially since they've outlawed lead shot.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
You might check to see if they have any trapshooting clubs in the area. I know back when I was competing trapshooting there were a lot of us that did a LOT of reloading considering we went through several hundred rounds a day. Good luck!

IDdesertman

Dec 8, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
GPX4500, Gold Bugs
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good question Snakeman, I've wondered the same thing. I could get tons of brass picking up empty shotshells, but I'm not sure how you would separate the brass from the plastic...

PS: A few types of shells are worth something to reloaders, but most shells that you would pick up off the ground aren't.

Jay-in-Pa

Jan 12, 2007
NE Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
IDdesertman said:
Good question Snakeman, I've wondered the same thing. I could get tons of brass picking up empty shotshells, but I'm not sure how you would separate the brass from the plastic...

PS: A few types of shells are worth something to reloaders, but most shells that you would pick up off the ground aren't.

The local state owned range here just throws them in a 55gal drum and burns them with the rest of the garbage, so I thought cool I loaded up 4 5gal pails with allready burnt off hulls get home and the magnet does not lie they are brass plated steel. Bummer the mojority of new shotgun shell hulls are brass plated.
Jay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread